• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

X-ray of a drowned Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2571.jpeg

“This is a CT scan x-ray image of a Brown Bess musket, believed to be a 1769 short land pattern, that was recovered in 2012 by LAMP (Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program) archaeologists from the Storm Wreck, a colonial period shipwreck believed to have wrecked on 31 December 1782. This vessel was likely from the final fleet to evacuate Loyalist refugees and British troops from Charleston to St. Augustine at the end of the American Revolution. The x-ray shows that this musket was loaded with the "buck and ball" commonly used by American Rebels (and in this case, by British redcoats). The Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program is the research arm of the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Museum. Photograph should be attributed to Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program.”

colonial boy, do you know where the gun is? is it on display?
The last time that I was at this museum in St. Augustine, about 2 years ago, I asked specifically about this musket and was told that all the coral and sea encrustation was still being carefully removed so that it could then be displayed. I, too, would want to know the status of this piece.

Very cool!
I always thought the ball was behind the buck shot. Not so !
It is..., in the cartridge. When you load a lot of troops would not invert the cartridge, but simply insert and allow the powder to pour by gravity while they were grabbing the rammer. Fast but can make for a problem IF the lad is ordered to pull his load, when trying to snag the cartridge with a worm.

NOT sure how they ID'd the musket to be an SLP Bess. The two loads screams "poorly trained loyalist troops" and they were not armed with the newest and best Bess. The shape of the side plate might be a clue, but the angle is off to be able to take a hard look, as the differences between the side plates can be subtle, if one cannot see if the side plate is rounded or not.

LD

Latest posts

Back