• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemoke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine stoped over today and ask me a question that I could`nt answer. so I thought I`d post it here. he has two T C HAWKENS one in a 50 pec. and one in 54 flint he wants to make the 50 a flint can he just switch the breech plugs. he said that they were both 15/16ths barrels

if memory serves, T/Cs have 'patent' breach plugs, so i would be very hesitant to fool with them. you might (or might not- i don't know for sure) void an otherwise 'wraparound the world' warranty. you run the substantial risk of botching it up into an irrepairable condition. the term FUBAR comes to mind.

additionally, there's a wide variety of barrels available for these guys from Green Mountain, and you can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many barels.

The TC Hawkens .50 cal barrel is 15/16 but the .54 cal barrel is 1 inch.
To the best of my knowledge, TC never made a 15/16 .54 caliber.

In the thread in the Percussion forum about converting a Flintlock to Percussion Roundball mentioned that TC will rework their barrels to convert them from one system to the other for about $85.

zonie.

He ought to just hunt around for a replacement barrel for his .50. They are readily available and would give him inter changeability with the two locks.

I agree with Zonie -- I think that your friend is wrong about them both being 15/16th barrels. The .54 is surely a 1 inch if it is a T/C. It is easy enough to test by swapping them. On the other hand, it may be an after market barrel.

CS

In the distant past one could purchase a regulation T/C Breechplug Wrench. I have one and after much grief and foul language, removed the breech plug on a T/C Hawken barrel I got cheap. Because of their current manufacturing process they turn those patent breeches on VERY tight. I was never able to get it back on to where the flats match perfectly (however I used that barrel to build an underhammer so it didn't matter to me). My point here is that it simply is not worth messing about with removing the T/C patent breeches unless absolutely necessary. Unless one is a hoplessly determined gun hacker (like myself) with long handled wrenches and a very stout vise and bench tied down to bedrock one would be best off having T/C do the work or trading the barrel off to someone for the desired barrel. :)
Merry Christmas -
shunka

Back