• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breakfast, portable.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't you know. It had to be Alden. Hates grits and likes MREs. :surrender:

I don't mind them, not saying would like to live off them for an extended length of time though,and I love grits.

Oh, Marines are human, just not ORDINARY humans. Uh Rah! Semper Fi! :hatsoff:

Don't you know that we dogfaces love to harass Marines.
(GIs only tease those that we like/respect. = REMFs get IGNORED. - Fyi, Marines have gotten "my guys" out of more than one "unfortunate circumstance" OCONUS.)

yours, satx

OMG!

I actually ATE some of those C-Rats in 1984! I was at OCS at Quantico, and we had some vintage C-Rats.... had to be the same stuff!

I liked C-Rats as the cans the food came in were useful for other things, coffee cups, boobie traps, noise makers on the wire barriers..., MRE's didn't impress me as a food improvement, though they are a transportation improvement... lighter..., probably better nutrition...

Speak of nutrition, and getting back to our time period... :haha: ..., we had a few Marines try out using dried corn and the occasional piece of meat for field rations. (Some sort of DoD study.) They got "corn nuts" without salt and some hard salami, plus some multi-vitamins, and did a month long test. The Marines did pretty well physically, though the food was pretty boring, and not a good idea for more than a couple of weeks.

Imagine living off of parched corn and salt pork for several months...

LD

I found it interesting that you used the term "Pogey bait". You must have picked that up from the Marines with whom you came into contact. So far as I know, that is a Marine Corps term. The Marines in China before WW II were issued candy as part of their ration supplements. At the time, sugar and other assorted sweets were rare commodities in China and much in demand by the Chinese, so the troops found the candy useful for barter in town.

The Chinese word for prostitute, roughly translated, is "pogey". Thus, Marines being Marines, candy became "Pogey Bait".

I'll just file that away...

:eek:

I seem to recall Charms now that I think of it -- wonder if they're even around anymore. And then there was gum -- like little packs of white Chicklets or something.

As far as I know, it's specific for chocolate. :haha: At least that was what the sergeant instructor told me, and as I didn't want to dig another foxhole at the time, I didn't even think to question him about it...

LD

My understanding of "pogey bait" usage is that it became fairly standard as a description for "junk food" in the Pacific/CBI Theater during WWII.
We MPs routinely used the term at least from the time that I joined the MPs in '69.

Where it originated as "a military term", I couldn't say. - I defer to your suggestion.

Btw, USAMPS trains the LE/confinement folks for all the armed services. - I had many a Leatherneck in my classes, when I was a USAMPS faculty member.

yours, satx

As much as we MPs like to tease Marines, it was USMC personnel that we "requested" to accomplish "certain operational tasks", when I was with an "international group" and "way down South", as we TRUSTED the Marines to ACTUALLY try to do the DIFFICULT & DANGEROUS task that was ordered (rather than just "giving lip service to" doing that job) by "higher".

Fwiw, I liked the response to our MOBSTDTM request for "operational support" from a Marine MGySgt/E9 (Who the QMB schools staff sent down "to consult"). = "We can make that work."

yours, satx

Hard boiled eggs, dried fruit, and pre-cooked sausage makes for a nice meal. Make it bratwurst or Chorizo for me, please.

Fyi, ONE thing that we MPs liked about "C-rats" long ago was that the tin can that "Pound Cake" came packed in was exactly the right size to fit a "pineapple grenade", with the ring pulled & a suitable piece of monofilament attached to it & a tree/tent stake/etc. =====> One little tug & KA-BOOM!!
(That also worked well for "an igniter" for a 55-gallon drum "field expedient flame mine".)

Question: Does anyone KNOW what the first MPs of the AWI, War of 1812, Mexican War & TWBTS carried as "field rations"?
(Whether mounted on horses, mules, railcars or motor vehicles, Chasseurs/PM troops/MPs have always been "highly mobile" & frequently "operated in a semi-detached status" in the field.)

yours, satx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back