• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brasso

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm against polishing brass on a gun.
Removing the tarnish just makes it re-tarnish faster. If you have green tarnish that should be cleaned and removed so it can properly tarnish and passivate.

Think of tarnish on brass as a form of bluing or browning that protects it from further corrosion.

Yes it can. Brasso is abit abrasive. I have an older T/C Hawken that the finish got abit hazy around the patch box because I was too lazy to remove it and polish it. I'm one of those guys that likes my brass untarnished. So now I take off the brass parts to polish them. (If possible)Or you need to be very careful. Brasso will also leave a scratchy look. If you want a mirror polish, try using mothers aluminum mag wheel polish or never dull wadding polish.

ah, Brasso ... savior and anathema both for everyone who ever joined the ranks ... basically, if you have a DD Form2, you both hate and love the stuff...

here's the deal: Brasso has ammonia in it, as well as some other stuff. now, your brass parts probably never had a 'finish' (i.e. a thin coat of clear paint) on them, as the insignia did. but Brasso take off the clear coat and leaves the raw brass, which looks shinier for a good twenty minutes to half hour, after which time the brass does what brass does.

so, if you insist that your brass be super shiny for a short period, then take Brasso and do your thing. other than that, well, not so much.

if you are keen to have your brass shiny on a longer term basis, you might try to clean it up and then apply Rennaissance Wax (or a similar product). Renn Wax is a bit on the pricey side, but a little bit goes a very long way.

I'm a fan of iron, so I don't have much brass going, and what I do, well, let's just say that the Sergeant Major would not be very impressed...

make good smoke!

Brasso and many other liquid metal polishes can have a negative effect on the finish of your stock. My preference is a product called Never Dull. It is an impregnated fibrous product that comes in a can. It looks like cotton. You pull out a piece big enough to do the job at hand and simply rub away the tarnish. It works great and I have never damaged any of my gun stocks.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=never+dull+metal+polish

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back