• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass soaker cleaner polisher??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An easy brass cleaner especially for delicate or hard to reach areas is: http://www.hardwarestore.com/tarn-...tm_campaign=rkg&device=c&network=g&matchtype=

220.jpg

This is available at local stores too. It does react oddly with some brass alloys so test it first and rinse it thoroughly.

For a really bright, tarnish resistant finish try: http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-buffing-kit.html You will amaze yourself with what all this will polish like silverware and cell phones. There are small buffing wheels available for Dremel tools that can use these same rouges. You can feel quite a difference in a gun with a polished action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those brass parts your trying to shine won't shine up with just a soak.
Those old kits never polished the brass. Go on down to the hardware store and get ya a sheet of 400 grit sandpaper
(the black stuff/wet-dry)
and maybe some 600 to boot.
Wrap a little around a file for the flat spots and around a pencil for the round spots, or even clamp the piece in a vice and take a strip of sandpaper and run it like a shoeshine boy.
And just generally start rubbin,,!
Brass will polish pretty easy,,
Some of the spots might need a courser grit like 220-320 before the polishing with 400-600.
It can be most satisfying to bring that dull brass to a high shine! :wink:

Oh yea,i took them all off,i was just thinking soaking would make polishing easier.

What are you polishing, Rick? Are they sand cast brass parts? Do they already have a smooth finish or are they rough? If they have a nice smooth finish that was polished at one time and you just want to bring back the polish, you can do it with Tarnex but that will give you a so-so polish. You can get most of the old tarnish off with that stuff but to bring back a nice bright polish, it will take some elbow grease and some brass polish like Brass-O or Never Dull. I keep a can of Never Dull on hand for all metal polishing. It is a cotton fiber material that you just pull off a piece and start rubbing. I think it works great. Another possibility is jewler's rouge and some felt polishing tips and wheels for a Dremmel tool, if you have one.

If you are starting with sand castings, they will require a good bit of file work and then a series of grits of emery paper. I use fine mill bastard files. You will need both a flat file and a round file. It helps if you have some chalk to rub on your files to keep the teeth from filling up with filings. A file card or wire brush will be needed to keep the teeth clean and cutting nicely. Do not let the teeth fill up or you will eventually get enough metal stuck in the teeth of your file to cause it to scratch your work. Once you get the file work done to your satisfaction, tear the emery paper into usable strips and use it like shining shoes to work your brass. Or you can wrap pieces around a dowel or flat stick. Keep changing your emery paper as it wears down and when you need to, change to the next finer grit. Keep working to finer and finer grits until you have a polished surface. At that point, it is time for the jewler's rouge and the Dremmel tool for the final polish.

PM me if you need any more help, old buddy.
Bill

Hi Bill i eneded up using the cotton pull a piece stuff,worked real well,then i rubbed it by hand with a jar of metal polish paste and buffed it,yea just a reshine on old brass,i used chalk paint on the wood and rubbed it with 0000 fine steel wool and it took it to a nice dull shine that i wanted,sealed it with a paste wax that is used for chalk paint and put er back together..Just have to detail it out now.Looks better than the pics show,look like a pimp with a new hat!

DSC08183_zps4a355d83.jpg

DSC08181_zpsb7ccbd0f.jpg

DSC08179_zps94965a47.jpg
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

No doubt about it, that rifle is a notch or two better looking than a pimp with a new hat. Ya did a great job, buddy.

Back