• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass frame? Steel frame?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broknprism

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy. I'm new to this, and new here. What is meant by brass frame? I have a 2nd gen Colt 1860 Army and the triggerguard is brass, but the backstrap is steel. The frame is color cased steel. For the purposes of powder charges, does this count as a steel framed gun? Thanks!

Brass Frame

1860army.jpg

Thanks for the welcome! I'm a former semi-auto shooter who got fed up with ammo shortages and FFL transfers. I'm also a 19th century history buff, so... here I am. I have a 2nd Gen Colt 1860 Army, as I said, and a 2nd gen 2nd Model Dragoon. I can't believe I waited so long to get in touch with this aspect of our history.

broknprism
Welcome to the forum. :)

When we speak of a brass frame we are talking about the area of the pistol which houses the working parts.

Most of the original Colt and Remington Cap & Ball revolvers used brass trigger guards and many used brass grip backstraps.

Historically, most of the revolver manufactures in the Confederacy used brass for the frame as well as the trigger guard and backstrap.
This was done to limit the need for iron parts because iron was badly needed for other wartime items.
It is said (although I don't know for certain) that the Southern States during the war collected all of the brass they could, even melting down church bells to get material for the war effort.

schnider36l.jpg

This artificially aged newly made Italian reproduction has the brass frame typical of the Confederate guns. It represents a Schnider, one of the few Confederate "Colt copy" pistols which incorporated a octagon barrel like the real Colts.
Most had a round barrel up to the heavy part that attaches to the frame.

As you may have read, the Brass framed reproductions are weaker than a steel framed gun. If you ever get one it is recommended that you shoot light to medium power loads in it.

Back