• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brass bore guide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncmrkhd

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I been seeing brass bore guides on Ebay and think it might be something useful. I got the aluminum range rod from Cabelas and it measures .382 that said 3/8in is .375 and thats the biggest bore guide I have seen . My question is if anyone uses a range rod like mine with a 3/8in guide. .007 aint very much but I imagine it might be enough. I've read of guys making rods with 7/16 hickory for large bore so is there a 7/16 bore guide. Track of the wolf only has 3/8. The rod for my Investarms 50 cal is just under 3/8 like .373, guess its from rubbing or age

i don't have experience with your gun or your guide/rod, but the idea of a rod guide is to keep the rod off the rifling and crown right at the muzzle, so if it does that, it's good to go. i would think .007" is plenty of clearance and plenty far enough away from the bore diameter to keep the rod off the muzzle. aluminum can be somewhat abrasive against brass, so the only problem i might watch for is that the guide doesn't wear because it's brass. generally brass against brass is self lubricating and niether will wear.

That should work fine. There are good guides all over the place. I would advise agains the ones that are tapered as a sorta 'fits all' gimmik. They just don't stay in.
Guides are made from all kinds of material. I have made from antler. But, IMHO, brass is best. The real mountain men whittled theirs out of brass around the campfires at night. :wink:

I have gotten away from brass bore guides. Roundball told be to get a nylon one from Muzzleloaders builders supply. What I really like about the nylon ones if they fall down the rod they can't hurt the crown like a brass one can. Plus they are lighter. The nylon bore guides are cheap and come in several different sizes. I use them with all my rifles not just muzzleloaders.

Most of the muzzle guards I have and use are the nylon type. I do have a few brass ones that I use in specific situations.

The issue is comparative hardness of the metals. You can rub brass on steel all day. The brass will suffer, not the steel. Aluminum oxide is another story. Whereas aluminum itself is a soft metal, aluminum oxide, that dull gray coating on the rod, is what we make grindstones with. This is why we make gadgets like bore guides to prevent the aluminum oxide on the range rod from filing the crown of the muzzle.

Rat Trapper said:
I have gotten away from brass bore guides. Roundball told be to get a nylon one from Muzzleloaders builders supply. What I really like about the nylon ones if they fall down the rod they can't hurt the crown like a brass one can. Plus they are lighter. The nylon bore guides are cheap and come in several different sizes. I use them with all my rifles not just muzzleloaders.

Nylon is fine. I have some also. However, I doubt a brass guide would do any harm to a steel rifle barrel.

Gerard Dueck said:
The issue is comparative hardness of the metals. You can rub brass on steel all day. The brass will suffer, not the steel. Aluminum oxide is another story. Whereas aluminum itself is a soft metal, aluminum oxide, that dull gray coating on the rod, is what we make grindstones with. This is why we make gadgets like bore guides to prevent the aluminum oxide on the range rod from filing the crown of the muzzle.

I agree fully. IMHO, a cleaning rod, modern or ml, made from almuminum is the nuttiest idea ever.

Brass is OK, but IMO, Nylon is far better...while brass is softer than steel it will still cause some wear...metal on metal creates wear, period...just to different degrees...Nylon does not.

Years ago member Birddog6 put me onto the tapered nylon muzzleguides from Muzzleloader Builder Supply and they're simply outstanding...probably have a couple dozen of them in operation...just match up / order the correct size to the diameter rod and caliber you're using them in.

They cause zero wear, they basically weigh nothing so there's no added weight when hunting, and they make no noise when quietly reloading in the woods after shooting a deer, etc.

J. Dewey makes their .50 & .54 muzzle guides out of Delrin.
They aren't tapered and have a precise fit inside the muzzle.
The guides are listed on their website under Blackpowder Accessories at deweyrods.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Arcticap,SPINJAG website sells Delrin bore guides for $2and change.They are knurled to grip better and black in color.I think they look better than the white nylon ones.Just another option.

Latest posts

Back