• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brand new flinter from PA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyC

Shooting my .45 better every time
Reaction score
Hello, I am expecting my Kibler SMR kit to arrive in a few days. I’ve never even shot, let alone built a flintlock so this will be interesting to say the least. My 12 year old grandson expressed an interest in flintlocks so we ordered one and will be building it together. I have read hundreds of posts here and see that there is a wealth of information here. Looking forward to beginning a new chapter in my life.

Super!!!

You will do just fine...I had never shot a flintlock and yet, in 1977 I bought one from a builder named Bob Watts...He gave me some simple instructions and I went to the range...First shot was a bullseye...I've hunted with them ever since...In 1988 I bought parts to make a .54...I bought FoxFire 5 and Hershal Houses book and VCR tape on making a longrifle...It took 2 years and over 200 hours to build and it came out just fine...Back then the stocks were no where near finished as the one you will receive...Your gun will arrive very close to being ready to put together, prep the stock, and finish...You may have to hand fit a few parts but I had to inlet the lock and trigger, shape the stock, fit the buttplate, install the sights and inderlugs, etc...

Today, you have much more information at your fingertips...I will tell you, do not worrry about carving the stock...I see some that do and cringe when I see the results...Make sure the parts fit together well, do a good job on prepping and staining and finishing the stock and you will have a fine rifle...

No carving for me. I ordered the extra fancy maple and it would break my heart to ruin it with less than perfect carving.

Thanks Dutch. I live very near the Pittsburgh airport, my grandson lives an hour north of me just outside of Koppel

I’m a bit north of there - pm me if you want and I’ll give you my number in case you have questions along the way, building or shooting.
Nice Brit btw, I have two bird dogs one has a tail the other not🤔

Hello, I am expecting my Kibler SMR kit to arrive in a few days. I’ve never even shot, let alone built a flintlock so this will be interesting to say the least. My 12 year old grandson expressed an interest in flintlocks so we ordered one and will be building it together. I have read hundreds of posts here and see that there is a wealth of information here. Looking forward to beginning a new chapter in my life.
Wow, you really dipped your whole foot into it, not just a toe! To go from no-shoot to Kibler kit all at once is a big step, but everyone here will be rooting for you! Best of luck! Hope you enjoy!

Thanks. We finished it and worked up two nice loads, 45 grains for him and plinking and 65 grains for deer hunting. We are so into it I bought another .45 SMR for myself. Finished it last week and took it shooting today. See my post in flintlock rifles if you need a laugh.

Latest posts

Back