• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bp revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancote

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am just getting into the black powder and have questions regarding purchasing a pistol. I was watching some UTUBE videos of the 6 shooters....45 cal. I see that Cabela's has a sale on a Pederosi (sp?) that looks really tempting. Any body dealt with purchasing one of these if you are from Michigan? I see there are some restrictions but I am unable to find what they are exactly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

I believe the brand you're thinking of for revolvers is pietta or uberti. To my knowledge, you're in the clear as far as purchasing one goes (I think you may need to fill out a black powder exemption form that allows you to have the gun shipped to your door). Others may know more than I but I hope this helps :thumbsup:

oops! yes a Pietta ...sorry. What is the process like to get these from Cabelas to Michigan. Any special laws I need to worry about or NOT worry about because it is bp? I want to dot the i's and cross the t's properly. In use do I just need to follow the usual open carry type rules? Is it considered unloaded with no caps even if it is loaded with powder and balls? (like for transporting etc?)

Dan

...specifically it is the Pietta Model 1858 New Army .44 Caliber Revolver and on sale for 199 dollars. Seems like it would be a lot of fun to shoot and maybe even come in handy as back up if I am attacked by wolves on my deer hunt! Ha ha ha
But...again, wouldn't want to order it to Michigan until I know it is done correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
With that exemption form you should be able to ship it directly to your door. I was always under the impression that the gun was technically unloaded when uncapped. I would only assume that you would want to follow the same open carry laws as normal. Granted I am not in Michigan, but I think you would be safe in following the same open carry laws as a cartridge gun. I am very pleased my pietta revolvers, I have both an 1860 army and a remington new model army (what they call an 1858), both of which are .44 caliber. Which were you interested in getting?

I believe Michigan is one of 4-5 states that require an FFL dealer to receive shipments of even black powder guns.
Cabelas should be able to ship it as they are all FFL, but you have to line up a gunsmith or FFL shop to receive it and transfer into your name, usually a fee of $20-40. And there is a time frame of just a few days between payment and Cabelas getting notice from your FFL for things to go smooth.
Find out what a fee would be, it might be just as cost effective to find the revolver for sale locally.

Mountain Dewd said:
I was always under the impression that the gun was technically unloaded when uncapped.
Ya, that's the way of it here in Minn,, cyliders can be loaded, but as long as it's un-capped it's considered unloaded.
The laws are hard to read what with all the legaleeze, so I went to the local Sheriff's office and asked.
It's best to check local laws.

Good advice.

Also, since you have three Cabelas in Michigan, it is probably worth a few hours drive to one of the stores. There is usually at least one guy on staff that knows BP well enough to chat up your questions.

You'll quickly spend more than $200 on supplies and accessories. :blah: , so enjoy the ride.

Claude said:
dancote said:
What is the process like to get these from Cabelas to Michigan.
Please check with your state government and don't rely on hearsay. :thumbsup:

And Cabelas and all on-line retailers are aware of the state-by-state restricions, if any, and will ship (or not) accordingly.

Been hearing disturbing things pointing towards BP 'restrictions' in Mich. Much of my family is from there. Hope all the negatives are just ugly rumors.

Nevertheless, $199 is a good price for an 1858 and you will have endless fun with one. Besure to check with Cabelas about the length of the sale, since sometimes (on the websites) there's a sale one day, and the next the prices go back up.

necchi said:
I believe Michigan is one of 4-5 states that require an FFL dealer to receive shipments of even black powder guns.
Cabelas should be able to ship it as they are all FFL, but you have to line up a gunsmith or FFL shop to receive it and transfer into your name, usually a fee of $20-40. And there is a time frame of just a few days between payment and Cabelas getting notice from your FFL for things to go smooth.
Find out what a fee would be, it might be just as cost effective to find the revolver for sale locally.
Noper your wrong. In October I bought a Dance Brothers from our local Cabelas. Showed em my drivers license and credit card and walked out with it. I have ordered pistols from Florida, and long guns from Tenn. A cannon barrel from E-Bay Didin't have to do anything but show I can pay for it. Cartridge guns are a different horse. You need to have it from a FFL. I have found that Michigan is one of the more liberal states in weapons purchasing and carrying.

I just sent you a PM but goofed I used Minnesota not Michigan

So here's a correction http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/view/news.asp?articleid=119&zoneid=100
5/13/2004
"State Rep. Matt Milosch today praised the signing into law by Gov. Jennifer Granholm of three bills enabling individuals to purchase antique handguns without a license or safety inspection. Milosch said before today's signing of House Bills 5427, 5428 and 5429 (Public Acts 99, 100 and 101 of 2004, respectively)....."
hope this helps you

dancote said:
Hello,

I am just getting into the black powder and have questions regarding purchasing a pistol. I was watching some UTUBE videos of the 6 shooters....45 cal. I see that Cabela's has a sale on a Pederosi (sp?) that looks really tempting. Any body dealt with purchasing one of these if you are from Michigan? I see there are some restrictions but I am unable to find what they are exactly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dan
Go on down there and buy it! All you need is a drivers license to prove your who you are( or state ID) Over 18, and a way to pay for it.

The closest Cabelas to us here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is probably a good 4-5 hours. We do have a Gander Mt. But I do not know if they have the same selection as Cabelas. Thank you all again for your help! I was telling my dad about it and he says he wants to get one too and start shooting. He is 70 now and mostly has a collection of old double barrel shotguns (only 2 are bp). He would enjoy it but has too many hobbies already !

Sorry, was not thinking the peninsula. Might be closer to hit a location in Wisconsin...

I am in the twin cities, and regularly hit three Ganders and three Cabelas (though not for cartridge weapons, as the pricing stinks). The Black Powder inventory of weapons and supplies varies tremendously even between stores of the same chain. I can't really advise if your closer Gander even carries BP.

I am not qualified to speak to Michigan law, but both Cabelas and MidwayUSA have shipped BP to me direct with an 'adult signature required'.

You can order them off of their website. There is a much larger selection and guns on sale right now. The only thing I think is that when ordering off of website you need to fax a noterized(sp) copy of dirvers license. But once you do it your good.

I am in Michigan.
I have ordered BP "Firearm" from Cabela's.
Cabela's will not ship an order entered online to Michigan, you need to call the Firearms Department on the phone. They also require a verification of information form to be filled out and NOTARIZED before they will ship to Michigan. They Will keep it on file and it does not expire. It is due to some real or perceived liability risk and NOT required by law.

Previous to January 2004 a BP "firearm" was recognized as a firearm in Michigan. The passage of the "Janet Kukuk Act" in January 2004 cleared that up and now they are considered "antique firearms" regardless if they were actually manufactured before 1898 or not, pretty much just like the rest of the country. You don't need a FFL to send or receive a BP/ Antique firearm in Michigan. Even thought it has been legal for 11 years many local gun shops even here in Michigan still are not aware since they may not deal in BP firearms very often.

Here is a reference doc...
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publications/Firearms.pdf

I have lived in three states and have been a LEO in two of them. In most states, a muzzleloader is not considered a firearm, unless it is used in the commission of a crime. Keep yer powder dry......Robin :wink:

Talk with you local prosecutor about the open carry laws and dont take what folks say online as the law ask questions to get pointed in the right direction and do the rest yourself. Call up the prosecutor and ask him/her and also see if you can get a book on state codes we call em green books and law bibles here the come in handy all the time.

Black powder pistols and rifles, used to not require any ffl transfer, until revolvers like the ROA and rifles like the Encore were able to be fitted with center-fire cylinders and center-fire rifle barrels. I think, that the distributers, have a list of the firearms requiring FFL transfers. Local and state might apply. Any knowledgeable FFL dealer, in your area, should know.

Latest posts

Back