• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought new fowler from TVM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Suri

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I finally decided on and purchased a new fowler from TVM. Really like it a lot! It has a Colerain 58 cal barrel but when I tried to load it with a .570 RB and a .010 patch I couldn't get it down the bore. I called Colerain and they let me know that the bore was .577 !! I know all guns are different but my question to all the knowledgeable members is in their experience is a smaller ball and thicker patch more accurate or a larger ball and thinner patch better ?? Thanks for y

Mike you will find that each smooth bore has its own personality. You could try a .562 Round ball with .015 patching. I would try those .570 with out patching. My favorite smoothbore load is to use an 1/8" over powder wad followed by a cushion wad, a bare "chewed" round ball and another over powder wad to hold it all in. works very well in my guns.

That does sound good. I am just learning about chewed balls. I have a nice old horseshoe rasp that I have used before !!

Some wad some patch ,patch gives thickness all around the ball in a smoothie where a rifle has grooves to squeeze into.
I wad over powder,doesnt matter what so long as its natural and wad over the ball,When the ball sits on a wad it should come out sorta like a sabot and not bounce around inside the bore

My most accurate load is a 1/4" lubed wool felt wad, a .610 bare ball and over shot card. Much more accurate than any patched ball load I've tried.

Latest posts

Back