• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought a Flinter, sayin' hello, have a question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some real black powder and a lot of pyrodex. In order to stretch my black powder supply, I sometimes use 2f or 3f pyrodex for the main charge and prime with 3f black powder in my flintlock Fusil. There's a slight delay but not too bad. It works. I have even used 3f pyrodex in the main charge and for priming in this same gun. There's even more delay there, but it will go boom. Pyrodex will not ruin a gun as long as you clean it properly after shooting. Been using pyrodex for decades and my gun barrels are still like new.

Heed this advice right here. I believe Powder, Inc. is expecting to get in a big order, soon. Go there and pre-order as much as you can. Eat ramen for a month if you have to - but buy as much powder as you can.
Graf and sons has their brand of black powder( made by Goex and the same) With shipping I had $18.94 per lb. Had to buy 25 lbs, but when you divide it up with fellow shooters, that's a deal.

I have used 777 3f as a main charge in my flinders at times and it goes off just fine. For a hunting load though I will always use real black powder, usually goex 3f. I feel that the black powder gives much more reliable ignition, although the 777 always goes off I have experienced a few hangfires.

Hi and welcome from North Carolina! The short answer to your question in NO, you can’t use Pyrodex in a flintlock. The ignition of a cap lock will set it off, but a flintlock will not.
Well dang! Wish I’d known that before I shot about a pound of it in my flintlock.

i used so - called "duplex" loads for a while, but ignition was always a bit problematic. while it will work "in a pinch," i can't recommend it in good faith ... if you can't get 'real' black powder locally (and it's getting much harder to do so) you'll have to buy it in bulk and have it shipped ... the HazMat fee is exorbitant (but that's a tirade for another day), so buy as much as you can and split the cost.

Good luck!

(when you do get 'real" BP, check out Dutch Schoultz' method - here's a link:

Black powder rifle accuracy system -

make good smoke!

Thanks for the welcomes and info everyone. I managed to find a pound of goex olde eynsford 1.5F locally along with 4f for priming. I will give it a go with the 1.5 and see how that performs before i try duplexing 4f and pyrodex.

Back