• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bookie's Wheellock Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic piece. Another legend of Toad Hall is born! Wouldn't expect anything less from you, Bookie!

CP

Leon, in response to your question, Dutchie's wheel is about 1 3/4" across. Plenty of room to add extra cross-grooves to eat those pyrites up. I also countersunk the outside of the vent hole this morning a tad bit deeper/larger/more bigger. So far, 20 trigger pulls, 20 Booms. The pyrite broke in half, but it is still mounted as it still works. See.....the Good Lord does take care of poor dumb animals, little children, and us that are feeble minded! Bookie

Thank you for your most welcome respect. Please allow me to share a few less than Hollywood quality photos of Dutchie. Cheers, Bookie
2Muzzle.jpg
2ForearmTransition.jpg
2TPMounting.jpg
2LockArea.jpg
2SidePlateSide.jpg
2Complete.jpg

Bookamundo!
Twenty spins, twenty booms! Fantastic! Pyrite only broke in half once? Wow!

Aren't digital cameras great? The pictures sure don't take a back seat to hollywood on my LCD!

We need to get together and have a shoot. Maybe bring 'Schticks, Flinty and Audie along. Har Har!

God bless.
volatpluvia

Gentlemen, here are the last two photos I shall post on the wheellock project. I call them the proof of the pudding. They are two targets shot this A.M., one with round ball and the other with #4 shot. Dutchie works and if this is any indication of things to come, Mr. Gobbler'll be joining the wife and I for supper some night!!
Target2.jpg
Used 80 grains of FFG and 1 1/2 oz. of #4 shot at this target posted at 25 yards. I had a bit of a hang fire because of the pyrite shattering and pulled the shot a bit to the right, but all in all, over 90% of the pellets hit paper. The circle is about 2 feet wide.
Target1.jpg
Used 55 grains of Goex on this target. Not bad, I think, for a front sight that is 1/8" wide. I have room for improvement, but it will be fun. Next project, making a few hand gonnes! Cheers, Bookie

Bookie,I have seen the rifling tool(looks like a pice of broomstick , for give me)do you have a sketch or drawing of the machanism ?? :v

Hello te onderzoeken Gunman, gelieve mijn website om het antwoord aan uw vraag te verkrijgen. Since I can't find your email address to send you a private may, please look at my website for information concerning rifling heads and cutters. The address can be found in my profile. Then send me an email, please, so we do not stray too far off topic here. Cheers, Bookie

Bookie,
I have heard that the links that work the wheel are the weak spot. Could you just use a section of bicycle chain? Or possibly, a single piece of steel rod pivoted from the mainspring to the wheel?
Yours in Ignorance,
Longshanks

Mornin', Longshanks! Good questions, but unfortunately the ideas will not work. The rod is unable to wrap around the tumbler and a bicycle chain is far too large to fit. I agree that the chain is "the weak link" (pun intended)in the system, but my own broken chains were a direct result of my heavy-handedness with the spanner and not paying attention to what I was doing. I suspect that Leon can tell relate to you the same sob story. :winking: My wheelie is going turkey hunting next week and a broken chain is not something I'll fret about. The lock is fun to operate and shoot. Cheers, Bookie

Longshanks,
Chuck Dixon told me it is the size of the pins one uses in the chain that is the weak link. He said if you use large enough pins on the chain it won't break. I used #4 bolt blanks. So far I have not broken a chain. I have not been gentle with them either. Now that doesn't mean I won't break one tomorrow. The one chain is now in use for over three years.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Back