• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bob's rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Bob Updike used to shoot with the Illini Muzzleloaders club. I always tried to set up next to Bob at the shoots because we had similar rifles, similar interests, and got along real well.
The first time I ever shot with the club I was sharing a table with Bob. Our targets were right beside one another too and I embarrassed myself by shooting a round into his target by mistake. Bob just laughed it off but I sure felt like an idiot. At the next shoot Bob came over and set up next to me again anyway.
When we met Bob was fighting stomach cancer. A year and a half later he told me that he had just been to the doctors and they had pronounced him all clear. He had the cancer beat.
Two weeks later Bob had a heart attack and died. It was hard news to hear. I only knew Bob for a short time but I sure do miss him still even 5 years later.

This past spring the guy who runs the clubs shoots mentioned in the newsletter that Bob's wife had decided to sell his rifle. I would have dearly loved to have it but at the time I was too poor to buy it. I figgered it would sell quickly and I didn't have a chance.
Then again in October the newsletter said Bob's rifle was still for sale. Unfortunately I was still broke.
Well, I just got a bonus check from work and got the idea to call Tom, our club president, and ask him if he knew if the rifle was still available. He checked with Bob's wife and IT WAS! And she had lowered her asking price to what I could not pass up! I told Tom to tell her I would take it without even having to look at it. I remembered seeing it 5 years ago and it was a nice rifle tho I didn't remember exactly all the details other than it was a .54 flint with a long barrel. I mainly just wanted it because it was Bob's rifle.
This afternoon I picked it up. :) This year Bob will once again be sharing a table with me at the club shoots.

Good Save Jethro!....
The Moon and Stars aligned on that deal!
Must be that lucky horseshoe you carry!.
Lots of effort in that build.
Glad to hear the memory of your buddy will be with you..
And the rifle will have a good home.Win-Win
Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very touching story and a fine rifle Jethro! I do know Mike Meese the builder of your rifle. He is from southern lower Michigan. He still builds a few guns, but not taking orders these days, last I heard. I usually run into him at the Kalamazoo living history show held in March every year.

All I know about him is what some other gun builders have said an that was He builds a darn good solid rifle. Congrats on a value that goes way beyond the dollar :thumbsup:

Congrats Jethro, I'm really glad this worked out for you! You have been such a help to so many others, its really good to see that you wound up with your buddy's rifle. Take care my friend. Steve

Nice rifle, and an even better story.

Btw., it seems there's even more to the story, because the patchbox seems to have "Jeri Lynn" engraved on it. :hmm:

Captjoel said:
Very touching story and a fine rifle Jethro! I do know Mike Meese the builder of your rifle. He is from southern lower Michigan. He still builds a few guns, but not taking orders these days, last I heard. I usually run into him at the Kalamazoo living history show held in March every year.

Thank you for that bit of information. Any chance you have his phone number or e-mail? I just wonder if he could give me any more info about the rifle.

cowboys1062 said:
That is a very touching story Jethro! I want to make the trip north to see that rifle in person. Maybe we can set up some shooting time this spring when the temperature gets a little warmer. A very nice rifle with a great story. Respectfully, cowboys1062. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

That would be great. Send me a PT whenever you're ready. I shoot at Chilicothe with the Illini Muzzleloaders and at Leroy Rifle and Pistol club all the time whenever I ain't at a rendezvous. I'm sure we can get together. March thru October twice a month. :thumbsup:

Spikebuck said:
What a beautiful rifle! :thumbsup:

Funny how things work out sometimes...any other day that rifle may have sold in a heart beat. Maybe Bob was helping out a little to make sure you got it.

Just maybe Bob did help me out a little. :)
His rifle was even at a local gun shop on consignment for a while up until I made that call. I can't believe it never sold at the price it was going for.

colmoultrie said:
Nice rifle, and an even better story.

Btw., it seems there's even more to the story, because the patchbox seems to have "Jeri Lynn" engraved on it. :hmm:

Close. It says "Teri Lynn".
Teri is Bob's wife.
After I bought the rifle Teri told me that Bob had been to the Illinois Deer and Turkey Classic show one year where he met Mr. Meese. He came home with a business card and kept talking about how that guy sure built some nice rifles and how much he'd like to have one.
Teri had just been downsized out of a job and had her 401K money so she told Bob to call and buy a rifle if he really liked it that much and she would pay for it as a gift to him. She said that was the reason Bob had her name engraved on the patch box.
Teri also told me that, at first, she didn't want to sell the rifle. Later she thought that it should belong to somebody that would use it and appreciate it. She doesn't have any "guys who shoot" in the family to leave it to so she decided to sell it. She said she was glad it was going to someone who was in the club and who knew Bob.

Sounds like it was just meant to be.

Nice rifle and I'll bet you'll take great care of it and shoot it for a very long time.
:thumbsup:

I didn't think that this story could get any better than it turned out. After your reply about the name on the patch box and how Bob's wife told him he could buy the rifle as a gift to him, and he put her name on the patchbox. It really puts it in a very dear human relationship between husband and wife. Bravo Jethro! You are definitely the right person for that rifle. I have never fired a flintlock before as all mine are caplock. I will be buying a flinter very soon but would like to fire one first. When we get together this coming spring maybe you could let me shoot that rifle once as it would be my first time I ever shot a Flintlock. That is if you would allow it and if not I would understand that too. It would definitely be something I would always remember. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Bob would love it if your first shot with a flintlock was from his rifle. :thumbsup:

We used to do an open house once a year when the club shot at the Midwest Gun Collectors range. All sorts of gun manufactureres would show up with their latest offerings and lots of ammo. The public was invited to try out any and all guns for just the price of the ammo.
We muzzleloader guys brought out our personal guns and would let folks shoot them. Bob was there with his rifle. We had a jar for donations to Saint Judes if anyone wanted to pay. Otherwise we supplied everything for free. Made a lot of people smile when they got their first whiff of blackpowder smoke.

Latest posts

Back