• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobby Hoyt barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a nice surprise from the mail man today. My relined original New Englander barrel looks great. Can't wait to go test it when the weather calms down. Bobby did great work!

Attachments

• 20220528_141513.jpg
    20220528_141513.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20220528_141457.jpg
    20220528_141457.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 105
Those New Englanders are some good shooting guns. I have an extra barrel for mine and was thinking of sending it to him to get turned in to a smoothbore. Yours looks great, he does do very nice work.

I got a nice surprise from the mail man today. My relined original New Englander barrel looks great. Can't wait to go test it when the weather calms down. Bobby did great work!

You will be more than satisfied with the barrels precision. I have a .45 radius rifled barrel by Hoyt and I really can't say I've ever seen a smoother bore at all. The guy is a genius at what he does.

I have decided to call him this week. I have a .54 Hawken I built about 30 years back, that still shoots lights out but I have several .54's. I want to find out if he can bore and rifle the barrel to .62 cal. The barrel is 1 1/8" at the flats, 36" long, an old Bill Large XXX stamped on it, if my memory serves me on the X's.
It would make a great "Any Game" rifle and somewhat less weight.
Mike

Here's the other barrels blue one is a rebore 50 to 54 gpr lyman and brown a 54 made for
DSC02963.JPG
me for above w hook breach (now 2 barrels 50 grn mtn & B Hoyt 54) sight in target both are gain twist, top left 1st shot 3 under next 3, adjusted sights hit aim pt
DSC03411.JPG
DSC03415.jpg

That's a beautiful rifle, bldtrailer. As for the question of rifling depth, Kevin, I'm pretty sure mine's at least .012" and with very wide grooves and very narrow lands. And it's radius rifled grooves. My Rice barrels also have radius grooved rifling of about .012" and the Hoyt barrel appears maybe a tad deeper.

He's a very busy guy. He is not happy to answer the phone with work stacked up all around him. You might just put your shootin preference and information on a paper taped around the barrel and send it.

I had to call him several times over a few days to be able to talk with him. I do think a written detailed description of what you'd like done and sent to him along with the barrel would be okay.

Call Bobby around 7am EST and he will usually answer and is very friendly. After that the lathes are running and he's too busy for the phone call routine. By all means, put a letter in the box with info for his benefit

Back