• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Swab

Ahhhh......progress. Looks great so far. The top jaw and screw on the cock give it that Spanish "flair" to match the other brass hardware. Very cool.
Hmmmm...do you think you will use a pin fastened barrel ? Or a barrel band ? The Spanish seemed to prefer barrel bands on their guns, even earlier examples. The only exception I've seen is the very earliest matchlock/wheellock period. They also seem to have had almost a fetish for belt hooks on their pistols.
But I can imagine this blunderbuss pistol with just a pin-fastened barrel and no belt hook.

Rick
Very true on the barrel bands. With the French influence pinning is a viable option. Looking at how it flows together Im leaning towards a pin as a band may disrupt the lines.

That’s gonna be sweet
It really is and feels good in the hand.
That looks to be a fun project.
As you can see things have progressed, i still need to do another take town for polishing and blueing of the steel but thought you might like to see progress
I’m currently sawing and filing one out , I have more time than $$ right now….😵‍💫

I think both plates are way to late for GAoP but the pierced one would be the lesser of the two evils
As you can see I used the filled plate but seriously modified it. In case you are wondering I have come across Spanish belt hooks with the heart cut out.
20231214_121929.jpg

Can't wait to see this one finished.

Rick
It's getting closer isn't it.
That's incredibly COOL! 👍
I decided to use one of TRS ramrod tips.
20231213_145515.jpg
20231214_121849.jpg

Look forward to seeing your project when it is completed.
20231214_121939.jpg

20231214_121826.jpg

It really is and feels good in the hand.

As you can see things have progressed, i still need to do another take town for polishing and blueing of the steel but thought you might like to see progress

As you can see I used the filled plate but seriously modified it. In case you are wondering I have come across Spanish belt hooks with the heart cut out.
View attachment 276535

It's getting closer isn't it.

I decided to use one of TRS ramrod tips. View attachment 276538View attachment 276536

View attachment 276534
View attachment 276537
Commodore, that pistol is just too danged oogly for a high-ranking officer of your esteemed ilk to be carrying around and shooting the albatross out of the sky!

I, on the other hand, have long been titled "King of the Swab" by many a shipmate. Suitable name for such as I, who has been appointed to be wielder of the swab for every and any incidence where said swab needs to be deployed. A guaranteed Shellback who has entered the Realm of King Neptune so many, many times, it would appear more normal toting an oogly, oogly pistola such as you illustrate herein. Please, for Heaven's sake, do not demean yourself so, and forthwith deliver the oogly thing, scourge of the Smithy's forge, to yours truly, and it will appear to seem more suitable than on a high mucky-muck such as your Honored Self!

Commodore, that pistol is just too danged oogly for a high-ranking officer of your esteemed ilk to be carrying around and shooting the albatross out of the sky!

I, on the other hand, have long been titled "King of the Swab" by many a shipmate. Suitable name for such as I, who has been appointed to be wielder of the swab for every and any incidence where said swab needs to be deployed. A guaranteed Shellback who has entered the Realm of King Neptune so many, many times, it would appear more normal toting an oogly, oogly pistola such as you illustrate herein. Please, for Heaven's sake, do not demean yourself so, and forthwith deliver the oogly thing, scourge of the Smithy's forge, to yours truly, and it will appear to seem more suitable than on a high mucky-muck such as your Honored Self!
I've been thinking I may just keep it for myself. Im starting to get annoyed everytime I do a pirate dress up not having something I built. As such I can deal with imperfections. Im not happy with the wood, it wasnt what it was supposed to be and I used it anyway for lack of options.

I have a sizeable piece of "quilted maple" (25" l x 9.5" w x 2.0" t). I could saw it almost on the diagonal, it'd make two pistol stocks, Don't know where you are, but postage wouldn't break the bank. Was thinking of making another ML pistol for myself, but if ya want, I could cut it to make two. Did anyone ever make one from maple? I know British history shows a few, though not from military storage.

Yes, ive worked with maple. I used this piece because I needed something closer to 2.5 which is typically much more difficult to find. Talking with a friend he mentioned a large downed cherry tree whick piqued my interest.

Back