• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blue Ridge Re-build Completion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the front sight was put on correct on mine. i thought about the trigger guard also but the trigger frame under the guard extends back up under it. you would have to do more than just in-letting wood to get it flush.

Toccopola said:
the front sight was put on correct on mine. i thought about the trigger guard also but the trigger frame under the guard extends back up under it. you would have to do more than just in-letting wood to get it flush.

Yes sir, already been there with that. This is the reason I didn't take the efforts to "fix" the guard. Your lucky then with your site as well. Removed mine when I refinished the barrel, wouldn't install the proper way as the site was to loose for some reaon. Anywho, the stock site is far from ideal IMO.

Here's a few images with the new floral finial sight installed. Took allot of file and polish work but oh my, looks gorgeous on the rifle. Certainly leaps and bounds over the ugly and pitiful factory blade. :)

vqPR1JI.jpg

KE3Hkce.jpg

vGWhXub.jpg

aaRO8i5.jpg

IT'S PURDY!

I would be proud as all get out to carry that in the woods. You could teach Pedersoli a thing or two, I reckon.

Nice job , fyi the original sight is,was back to front and NO they don't come from Pedersoli like that.

1601phill said:
Nice job , fyi the original sight is,was back to front and NO they don't come from Pedersoli like that.

The way the sight was installed in the previous pictures is how it came... I've built multiple rifles and if by now I'm unable to distinguish the correct orientation of a sight, then I shouldn't be building rifles. I unfortunately don't know what your implying there sir, but regardless the sight was how you see it in the first images I posted. So... not sure what else to tell you guys about the sight. The factory dovetail was cut in a way that only allowed the factory sight to be installed ONE way. Upon correctly installing the sight it was able to be removed just by thumb pressure. So I'm going to take a wild guess and say you shouldn't be able to push a sight out by hand...

You definitely made the right decision picking that specific front sight! Your rifle is absolutely beautiful! I am a Plains Rifle sort of guy but would definitely make an exception with that rifle of yours. I really do love that front sight on it. Wonder how it would look on a Plains type rifle? HA! HA! HA! :rotf: Just Kidding! If you ever want to get rid of it I am first in line! Well done Crewdawg. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Hey thank you kindly Cowboy! She's certainly a dandy rifle and shoots just as good as she looks. However... sorry to break the bubble, but don't think it'll ever be for sale! Haha!

Inletting that trigger guard will not be as simple as one might think. By the time the (feet???) of the trigger guard are flush with the surface, the bow will probably contact the trigger. It is possible to file a bit off the trigger to make it clear the bow but I don't like that idea. If he moves the (feet?) closer together to make the bow just a bit larger, the trigger guard may no longer fit the rifle. Of course, he may be able to find a different trigger guard with a larger bow but it may not look good on his rifle. Besides, not all trigger guards were flush with the stock on original rifles. I think it looks good just as it is.....but that is just a personal opinion.

Really nice work and you have ended up with a dandy looking rifle. I love the color, the finish and the shape of the stock. I have only two comments....(1) the front sight is on backward and (2) Although it looks nice, I don't think the spiral on the rod is H.C. To the best of my knowledge, that became fashionable later than the period of this rifle. But, if being H.C is not your thing, I think the spiral looks good. :thumbsup:

Thank you good sir! The spiral is either or, I've never found any evidence of it being done or not being done, but it's okay because period correct on a production gun can just be thrown out the window, not worried about that at all. Now the sight is backwards, but I think your referring to the first images posted. I know it's backwards, this has been an ongoing topic that I've tried clearing up. Long story short the factory sight was never to stay, since then I've installed a new one. Look back for the new floral finial, it's definitely not backwards! :thumbsup:

The last thing I'd do, after sighting it in and all sight adjustment is done to your satisfaction, is stake the barrel to hold the rear and front sight tight and file the base of your front and rear sight flush with your barrel. One of your previous posts mentioned that the front sight, when properly installed in the correct direction, was loose and able to pushed out with thumb pressure....most guys will fix that by staking the sight. Anyhow, your rifle turned out nice, I couldn't see how your Inletting turned out..but it sure looks good from where I sit. One other thing, you might want to file the nail flush that you used to hold your cheek piece inlay..I've seen those are do nasty things to the shooters cheeks.
My 2 cents

WOW I didn't know a Blue Rige was so purty,makes me want one,Really good job Sir.

Thank you for the helpful tips, currently with the new sight installed it's correctly seated. The issue was with the factory sight. Since I had to re-cut the dovetail that obviously allowed me to correctly fit the piece. I very much appreciate the positive remarks on my inletting work. I often feel this is an area that sometimes gets looked over, IMO good inlet work says much about the builder and I take pride in that. Lastly, the nails you see are filed and sanded round, all ruff edges are removed for the very reason you've mentioned.

Thanks shifty, appreciate it! Makes the hard work worth it when others enjoy the results as much as me!

Back