• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blue Grouse Black Powder opinion?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerem0621

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying an underhammer kit from Blue Grouse. Have any of you had any experience with them? I've never even seen an underhammer in person, but they look neat. My second question is, just how traditional is an underhammer muzzleloader considered? Is this a "new" concept? I literally stumbled upon their website and I really like they way their rifle looks, but I'm not sure how traditional this thing is.

Jerem

Blue Grouse gets his guns from Deer Creek. Last time I heard, Blue Grouse didn't have any. Underhammers are traditional dating back as far as 1749. A flintlock no less!

Search Underhammer hear and you'll see quite a bit. Great guns and accurate. Really good in wet environments as the cap is under the barrel.

You won't get a finished gun from Blue Grouse, unless he has a used one or you're willing to pay a lot extra for it. They are normally "in the white" & the wood need to be shaped & finished. Bruce, the owner of Blue Grouse, says that you could shoot the gun as is, but it really is a project. I've never heard a bad word about Bruce & he will talk to you as long as you need, if you have questions.

As gmww mentioned there were a few flintlock oddities made in the 1700's but the typical underhammer most folks think of didn't become popular until the late 1830's.
I believe the percussion versions were first made around 1828.
Most of the underhammer rifles were made in the New England area, most notably those made by Nicanor Kendell in Vermont.

When built with good hardware they have a very fast ignition system with the nipple flashing right in to the main powder charge.
That is one of the reasons that many of the muzzleloading bench rifles used in competition use this system.

On the negative side of the coin, if the rifle is supported in the normal manner with an arm extended forward of the hammer the flying cap fragments can cause some discomfort to the hand and arm.

There are some muzzleloading competitions where shooting offhand matches will not allow the underhammers to compete.
Many of them claim the guns are not "traditional" however unless they are restricting their competition to the days prior to 1828 they are wrong.

I purchased the last 50 cal.buggy rifle kit about 3 years ago. turned out to be a fine rifle and good shooter. I don't think he is in business any longer as far as the underhammers are concerned.

TTC

:v You know when Blue Grouse was in business it was hard to tell he was in business, if you know what I mean. Big hype and production on his web site, that was was it however. Sad to say when Deer Creek stopped making the kits is about five years back, the demand grew overnight. I built my .36 Heritage from an old Deer Creek kit that had been sitting around for several years. She's my favorite rifle amongst some real gems from Roy Stroh and TVM. :hatsoff:

:bow: Wow that is great news---should bring back a resurgence of the old H&A days.Great guns and tack drivers at best. :thumbsup:

Just to get it right Glenn, Deer Creek Does not make the rifles anymore as of last year the parts and acton we get is sent to the man that made the 62 barrels for us and he makes guns out of them, I not sure if they still use the org 1948 Douglas rifleing mch but that was the idea at the time...NOW who is makeing 36 cal Mowreys for Dixie ??? Fred :hatsoff:

Bruce used to cast a lot of stuff for sale, I got some 32 cal maxis really nice stuff and a great guy to work with.

Hi Fred long time no see buddy. I'm basing it on an account from someone on another forum who bought a rifle kit about 3 weeks ago. He had asked me about Deer Creek and later got back to me saying he bought one. :thumbsup:

I know he got the action anyways. I think he said he got the barrel too. I'll have to check my PM's on the other site.

Edit: My error, the other person was a she! Lynn sent me an email about her order on Oct. 20th. It also included a .45 cal. slow twist barrel. It was my impression from her email that your getting the gun in parts and you will have to put it all together. They used to sell it pre-made. I kind of prefer it in pieces myself.

@Jerom0621, FW (Fred) is the man to talk to about Underhammers. He got me started and now I can't stop!

:thumbsup:

Glenn,She is a he,I purchase a under hammer from Deer Creek three weeks ago.When I get it back from the builder I'll post pic's.Glenn it was a little much for me to do with one good hand,I'm having a builder out of Idaho put it together with a little wire inlay done on the stock.Nice kits,after Monroe in March going to order two 40 cal barrels for it.

Ooops Sorry! :grin: :redface: Your going to like it when its done.

Don't be sorry,My folks wanted a girl and my uncle name me.He didn't know about the different spellings

Glenn,? Your other under hammer is the barrel 15/16 or one inch ?I've been looking at the other action for a mid-range rifle.

I've been going with 1" and 1 1/8". John Taylor has a buddy in Idaho that makes them custom. I've also used several Green Mountain barrels. Fast twists and also a .62 cal. 1:114" twist for RB's. Haven't shot that one yet. I like the thicker barrels. :thumbsup:

I corresponded with Bruce last week about a .50 barrel for one of my .36 underhammers. He is still in business. I don't know about the status of the "In the White" kits these days.

Latest posts

Back