• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black runs on my stock.?!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipercub

32 Cal
Reaction score
Shot my newly finished Kibler Colonial for the 2nd time today. Shot great. Got home cleaned the rifle (just water and a little ballistol). Set it in the corner to dry…
When I went back to put the lock in I noticed dark black runs going down the butt stock. I had to sand them off with scotchbrite and re oil the spots on the stock to remove them! Anyone have any idea what caused them?

Attachments

• B7382580-D067-46BC-B9F5-63C8E394DE98.jpeg
    B7382580-D067-46BC-B9F5-63C8E394DE98.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 69226AEB-5600-4B47-86AD-8B4C73349597.jpeg
    69226AEB-5600-4B47-86AD-8B4C73349597.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 90
Like Flint 62 said..........always stand a newly cleaned and oiled rifle muzzle down. There are finishes you can redo your stock with right over the existing finish , that shed water ,and cleaning products. It can happen again , fix it.

Like Flint 62 said..........always stand a newly cleaned and oiled rifle muzzle down. There are finishes you can redo your stock with right over the existing finish , that shed water ,and cleaning products. It can happen again , fix it.
I got her fixed back up. I won’t let it happen again.

Shot my newly finished Kibler Colonial for the 2nd time today. Shot great. Got home cleaned the rifle (just water and a little ballistol). Set it in the corner to dry…
When I went back to put the lock in I noticed dark black runs going down the butt stock. I had to sand them off with scotchbrite and re oil the spots on the stock to remove them! Anyone have any idea what caused them?
Yup, everyone else covered the cause.
Another option beyond the toothpick is getting one of the magnet and tube devices offered by Dave Crisali @davec2

That cleaning tube will leak if you aren't careful. I have one. You still need to put something absorbent in the lock mortise. Instead, I use a greased round toothpick in the hole and then add water. A small pipe cleaner or interdental brush will wipe out the vent.
Then stand the gun on its muzzle overnight. I have wiped a bore dry with Barricade then found a muzzle shaped stain on the paper towel the next morning. You wouldn't think there was enough Barricade to run down, but it will.

I appreciate the help. I’ve been hunting here in PA with lyman rifles for years. But this is my first pinned LongRifle. Thanks again!

I got this too, even using the toothpick. Not sure why or how, the line disappeared in a couple weeks. I’ve learned to remove the lock during cleaning and put the rifle muzzle down for a bit, then a final bore patch.

That cleaning tube will leak if you aren't careful. I have one. You still need to put something absorbent in the lock mortise. Instead, I use a greased round toothpick in the hole and then add water. A small pipe cleaner or interdental brush will wipe out the vent.
Then stand the gun on its muzzle overnight. I have wiped a bore dry with Barricade then found a muzzle shaped stain on the paper towel the next morning. You wouldn't think there was enough Barricade to run down, but it will.
Mine hasn't leaked,,,,, yet.
But, I did manage to launch the end in the container of water out of the container and spray dirty water everywhere. I guess I pushed down on the ramrod a little too vigorously, lol.

What is the finish on your stock? If it is just oiled, you need to top that off with a good coating of paste wax, That seals the oil coat and you won't have this issue again. I learned this lesson on my first (and only) build. That and being careful not to dribble fouling water down the stock. But with the wax, it will wipe off without soaking into the finish.
Now the next lesson you will learn is how to steam dents out of the stock after you knock the rifle over in your driveway :rolleyes:

What is the finish on your stock? If it is just oiled, you need to top that off with a good coating of paste wax, That seals the oil coat and you won't have this issue again. I learned this lesson on my first (and only) build. That and being careful not to dribble fouling water down the stock. But with the wax, it will wipe off without soaking into the finish.
Now the next lesson you will learn is how to steam dents out of the stock after you knock the rifle over in your driveway :rolleyes:
It’s numerous coats of tried and true oil with two coats of paste wax. I didn’t notice it when I first got done cleaning the rifle and let it sit several hours before I spotted it. I think that’s why it was so set up, and hard to get off. It came off with scotch brite, I just don’t want to do it again!

It’s numerous coats of tried and true oil with two coats of paste wax. I didn’t notice it when I first got done cleaning the rifle and let it sit several hours before I spotted it. I think that’s why it was so set up, and hard to get off. It came off with scotch brite, I just don’t want to do it again!
I see a lot of older rifles with this streaking. It has happened to me AND ONLY on stocks that have a Linseed oil type finish (such as Tried and True). The oil finish has chemically reacted with the acidic nature of the black powder residue (remember people mentioning using discarded patches to darken brass?). Like others have said I use a tooth pick but that does not always work. I clean my rifle on a rest horizontal and point the flash hole down.

By the way, my Permalyn finished stocks don’t streak or the factory (Pedersoli) finish.

Back