• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder vs ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmartin77_99

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have my Hopkins & Allen .45 cal ready to shoot but am bewildered by what kind of powder to use. I posted as a newbie about a week ago about acquiring the gun and everyone who responded were very helpful. I have gone to the big store and found black powder substitutes in varying forms. The only thing I see that looks like what I need to use is the Pyrodex fffg. The other powder they have for sale is in block form. They do not have just Black Powder in fffg. Everything is a substitute. Any suggestions on where or what to get for Black Powder?

Pyrodex will be OK since you have a percussion rifle. If you can get real black powder, I suggest you use it. For BP, you have to ask at the counter if they have it, as they can't store it on the shelf like the subs. Stay away from the pellets, unless you just like spending money and decreased performance.

You know that traditional black powder must be stored in a locked case and they cannot advertise it, so you'll need to talk with the manager of the firearms counter as they usually have the only key. Most other employees do not know or care what real black powder is or the difference between it, subs and smokeless. I actually had an assist. manager at a large sporting goods chain point to the smokeless powder when I asked for black. At any rate, the only sub I would use is Triple 7, but only if Goex just can't be found, and I know the Dallas area has several places to by it so keep looking. If T-7 is it, then just reduce the amount of powder you use by 15% of what suggested charges of black is. Start with the same charge as the caliber of your rifle. 50 cal = 50 grains Goex or 43 grains T-7. All the subs are harder to ignite than real black powder, so use #11 caps and you should be fine. If you patches are getting burned through, switch to a thicker patch or add more lube. You may also want to swab the barrel with an alcohol dampemded cleaning patch between every shot. I'm sure you've gotten a bunch of good advice so far, good luck and let us know how you do.

Around here, and most places I think, sporting goods stores don't carry it, period. You may have to order it online. You can actually get it cheaper that way, but you have to buy in bulk, 5 pounds at a time.

I suggest just trying the pyrodex for now, just to get a feel for shooting your muzzleoader. By the time you use that up, you're going to get the itch to try something better. It only takes 3 or 4 days to get a shipment of black powder to your house, so if you order it on Monday, you'll be shooting over the weekend. Bill

P.S. Ya, stay away from those pellets.

I've had good luck with Triple Seven 2F in my TC Hawken rifles. In a cap lock rifle you should have no problems with misfires either. If you do have those problems it is more likely something you did rather than the powder.

Try the following places for BP: Maine Powder House, Powder Inc, Track of the Wolf. There are a couple other places, but I'm having a senior moment!

As stated, you have to purchase a minimum of 5 lb. Goex and KIK are comparably priced and also in quality. Swiss is the best, but more expensive. I have been told that Swiss FFg is not any better than Goex FFg. I can't say about that since I've never used Swiss FFg. However, the Swiss FFFg IS superior to Goex FFFg.

Hi, I'm in the Dallas area too.
I got some Goex fff at BP in Grapevine last week. You'll have to go up to the gun counter and ask for it as they keep it locked up in the warehouse somewhere.
I've used 777 too, it's ok but the real stuff is better.

I think people should make an effort to find real BP, the more we buy it the longer it will likley be avaiable, it would be easier to find now if so many had not jumped on the substitute wagon 40 years ago.I feel the sport is worth a little extra effort now and then.

tg said:
I think people should make an effort to find real BP, the more we buy it the longer it will likley be avaiable, it would be easier to find now if so many had not jumped on the substitute wagon 40 years ago.I feel the sport is worth a little extra effort now and then.

+1 :thumbsup: I agree 100%

tg said:

+1 more

if youre near Mesquite and dont mind paying $21 +tax and having to deal with the cranky old man and @$$[]0l& son, Gibsons Outpost shooting range carries 2f and 3f

I quit shooting there but ifn yer desperate on the east side well, heres some free advertisin for them

I went to the big store today and talked to the gun counter salesman and was able to get the real stuff. I would like to thank everyone who has responded.

Back