• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bismuth shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colt100

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just catching up on my reading of this board after taking a few months off and I was shocked to learn that Bismuth shot is going the way of the dinosaur with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I used Bismuth last year for ducks and loved it. I was going to buy 7 more pounds this year and use it in SD for phesants, but I guess it is no longer available. :shake:

I looked at the hunter's bismuth and that new tungston polymer @ $144 for 7# (yikes!!). I had looked at hunter's bismuth a few years ago when I first bought my muzzleloader and was unsure if the bismuth they sell is legal for ducks. In the WI hunting regs, they list non-toxic bismuth at 97% bismuth and 3% tin. This is what the Bismuth co listed as the percentages in their bismuth.

Hunter's bismuth lists it at 95% bismuth and 5% tin. I was wondering if this combonation is legal. Hunter's bismuth lists theirs at $67 dollars per 7 pounds which is a lot more reasonable IMHO. However, it's not worth it if it's illegle.

I'm not concerned in the "it's close enough" or "lead shot should be legal" so let's not go there. I'm purely insterested in getting shot to use that won't hurt my muzzleloader without the use of special shot cups, and is legal non-toxic shot.

Anyone know the legalties?

Contact your local wildlife agency. They will know the regulations, and can provide you with a copy. This is done annually in cooperation with the Federal Fish and Game department.

The only issue is lead...as long as it doesn't contain any lead it's legal regardless of what percentages of bismuth vs. tin are involved

paulvallandigham said:
Contact your local wildlife agency. They will know the regulations, and can provide you with a copy. This is done annually in cooperation with the Federal Fish and Game department.

Yes, I will be, but I didn'rt know if someone here had already done so and what they were told.

Back