• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bill Large Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESOOL

32 Cal
Reaction score
Are Bill Large Barreled gun worth the extra money for them? I have heard pros & cons but I was just curious wITH THOSE WHOM MAY HAVE MUCH MORE SHOOTING EXPERIENCE THEN i DO? Please share your thoughts as your time permits.

Thanks!

Bill made his barrels from 12L14 steel. Easy to machine, but not gun steel. These were considered among the best barrels in production at the time they were being made. Sure, it will hold up to black powder pressures and Bill left lots of barrel thickness in his barrels. Often, these guns were quite accurate on target. His rifles are worth the premium as a historical nod to one of the founders of the NMLRA. As modern target shooters, we should be looking at barrels made of gun steel. Rayle, Godoien, Rice, and some other barrels are made of steels better suited to pressures of ignition.

Bill Large was a premium barrel maker in the seventies. His barrels are considered top of the line!But like all other things condition is critical.

In their day they were one of the best but as others have already said there are other makers that are better. I think Green Mountain makes a great barrel but a lot of their barrel styles are no longer being made. I got a swamped .45 caliber barrel by them that is one of my most accurate rifle that I own.;)

Almost all muzzloading barrel makers use 12L12. Except for Ed Rayle which uses something so hard you can't even file it.
I have built guns around 4 or 5 Large barrels in 40+ years. I found them no better or no worse than any other barrel. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for one.

Nostalgia. Todays barrels shoot as well. Probably Douglass barrels hold a lot of records at Friendship. I know guys who think Rice barrels are as good as anything ever made in any quantity.

Those Longhammock barrels hold a few records as well…but we all know when it comes right down too it, it’s all about the nut behind the butt..👍

When you ordered a barrel from Large, he might make something close. A .50 ordered might be a .48 delivered or it might really be a .50. Just depended on how he felt the day he made it. Still accurate barrel for its time, but not necessarily what was ordered.
Being an average shot, I've never found a barrel I could out shoot so I go by price or style.

When you ordered a barrel from Large, he might make something close. A .50 ordered might be a .48 delivered or it might really be a .50. Just depended on how he felt the day he made it. Still accurate barrel for its time, but not necessarily what was ordered.
Being an average shot, I've never found a barrel I could out shoot so I go by price or style.
You told him what you wanted and he sent you what he thought you needed.

Latest posts

Back