• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

big bunny

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenmtnboy said:
Britsmoothy said:
I was wondering where you was :grin:

That looks like what we call mountain hare or blue hare.

B :hatsoff:

cool, I really enjoy local terms for critters.
It's regional and ol school.
I remember some flat lander telling me that the partridge I just shot was a ruffed grouse.
I said in Mass it may be called that but up here in the Northeast kingdom of VT we call em Partridge.
:wink:

GMB, nice bunny.

Don't classify everybody from MA as mASSholes, but there are more than a few...........we hunt partridge too. What is a grouse?

I grew up hunting those same hares with my uncle/cousins and a pack of beagles in upland western Ma. Just like you in the NEK. We all grew up on a farm and my uncles taught me hunting/fishing/trapping.

Saw a good vid the other day on skinning them, start at the hind legs and no knife needed until you have to gut/quarter them.

Hope the stew turns out great. I'm particular to lots of onions garlic and pepper, besides the carrots and taters. Add a couple of slices of bacon to the mix and some cornbread for dipping.

Enjoy that meal!

Need to write that recipe down. I love cooking in dutch ovens. Course around here I'd need 2 or 3 bunnys to get enough meat as 1 of your bunnyzillas!

Great images and congratulations. We have some snowshoe hare in our area but not too many. Although while deer hunting I did find hare droppings in a swampy area along with a fox toilet area.

We got almost a foot of snow so I may take a walk after work one day to check it out.

I love those Ojibway snowshoes. I love the traditional shoes over the modern aluminum and plasic ones. One thing that many do not know is that the modern snowshoes make noise when out in the woods. When hunting, you can make too much noise with them. Wooden shoes are better in my opinion.

Man, you always post up such great pictures!! As handy with the camera as you are with the firearms it seems:thumbsup:

They look identical to mine, I have 4 kids and we all snow shoe(my wife included)5 pairs of Ojibway and one pair of Montagnais style! Thanks for the picture and the recipe!!!

These rabbits are confused with snowshoe rabbits. These are called White tail Jack's. They can get bigger than a snowshoe. Ron

Jacobrabbit2.jpg

From their size you are probably right Ron, Leprus Townsendii.

They do look a lot like snowshoes, Leprus Americanus.

The former are more of a high plains hare and the latter found in alpine aboreal forests.

Maybe GMB can chime in as I'm sure he hunted snowshoes in Vt too. :thumbsup:

GMB, your pot of stew an bisquits are lookin' good and tasting even better I bet. Your Dutch oven sure does get a workout, I wish I could find one with the lid like yours, all I can find is the ones with the dome lid. Whats the Temperture up there? If my back did'nt get stiff as a steel plate an hurt when it gets cold I would be up there at least up in Tennesse or Kantuky to live. Where's a picture of the Missus with her bunnies?

I traded them for Taxidermy work. He gave me 50 dollars in trade for a deer he was doing for me. He used them in life size mounts with Mountain lions. Ron

Mike Brines said:
All due respect, but in Colorado they are GROUSE. Blues, sharptails, and ruffed.

of coarse and I call em as such here in CO, but back home...
what I was saying is it's regional.
regional sayings. like a ten point buck is a 5x5 out west
:wink:

Mad Professor said:
From their size you are probably right Ron, Leprus Townsendii.

They do look a lot like snowshoes, Leprus Americanus.

The former are more of a high plains hare and the latter found in alpine aboreal forests.

Maybe GMB can chime in as I'm sure he hunted snowshoes in Vt too. :thumbsup:

I think Ron is right our snowshoe hares live way above the sage in mostly conifer type environment.

The snowshoe hare is not a rabbit. I forget which is which, but one species is born naked and blind -- the other fully furred with eyes wide open.

ihuntsnook said:
but one species is born naked and blind -- the other fully furred with eyes wide open.
born blind= liberal gun grabber
born eyes wide open= hillbilly bunny hunter.
:grin:

Back