• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big bore pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54mountain

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Whats the largest bore you've seen or read about, I'm just curious because I just came across a piece of 3/4 bore 1/4" wall seamless hydrolic tubing and thought it make a good .75 cal smooth bore pistol.
Just wanted to know if there was anything historricly
that large, I have enough for an 11 inch barrel after I get the breach plug and tang mounted. Am I crazy? I think It's just the machinist in me talkin' :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I have a tower 69 caliber flintlock made in Japan. Nice looking and fun to make holes in things with if you can get it to go off. Unfortnately the lock geometry is all off and it's hard to get it to shoot. I saw a picture side by side 18th century holster (horse pommel)pistol labled .75 caliber. One expert says that there weren't any 75 bore pistols during the brown bess years but there were quite a few that ranged across the .60-inch range

If you have the time and talent, why not make it to see if it will fly.

I was thinking that there must be a point of diminishing returns with such a gun. I have a 16" 20 bore pistol that patterns shot rather well. I wonder if it were bigger would it be better?

Heard of .72 bore smoothie pistols and saw fotos but never saw one being shot. .250 wall thickness is plenty strong to mafe one tho.

I plan on giving it about a 1 degree taper to lighten it up and borin' a powder well into the breach, hopefully that will concentrate the blast a little.

Just a little thought on the .75 ID X .250 wall "seamless tubing".

Most of the 'seamless tubing' around is not truly seamless. It is usually welded tubing which has been drawn over a mandrel and thru a die. It is more correctly called DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel).
This process gives the tubing a smooth appearance and, indeed, this smoothness helps the tubing to seal with the various fittings commonly used in tubing applications.
If it is DOM, it is a welded tube, and is not as strong as a true 'seamless tube' which is formed by forging.

Because the material the tube is made from is unknown, and the process of making it is also in question, I cannot say that it is suitable for housing an explosive safely.

I can say that after calculating the pressures that a mild steel piece of tubing with the dimensions given above it appears that if the tubing was actually 'seamless' and not DOM, it would be good for dynamic hydraulic pressures of over 10,000 PSI however in the case of a sudden application of pressure as is found in a firearm, it is recommended that the safe maximum pressure must be reduced by at least 1/2.

Although the tube has a .250 wall, this thickness will be reduced after the inside is threaded for a breech plug. This threading will exist right in the area where the greatest pressure is developed when the powder ignites.

This, coupled with the fact that this is a life/death situation makes me hesitant to suggest that a gun made from this material would be safe to fire.
zonie :)

One thing Zonie didn't mention is that sometimes DOM tubing gets longitudinal scratches along the bore from the process. Just one of those things you need to check with a thorough inspection before using "seamless tubing" of any kind for a barrel.

As for the bore size, I've seen Howdah pistols with bores in the .72 to .75 range. Some military pistols were made regularly in .69. There are probably even larger bored pistols out there as well. Good luck.

Zonie
Thanks for the heads up, after looking closely I believe it is DOM you can see the draw lines in the bore. So I guess I will rethink that idea, Thats why I came to you guys
Thanks again
Galen

Now thats what I'm talkin about! good lookin' gun, what kind of pattern do ya' get with them #4s at 15 yds :hmm:

Hi 54Mountain,
This is my smoothbore cal. .69 Liége flintlockpistol for "casual" target shooting. Makes a lot of fun!!

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

Regards,
ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back