Quantcast

Big Bore Flintlock

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

RoaringBull

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
OK I thought that I would open the big bore flintlock thread, so we don't hog the for sale thread.

Has anyone seen a 2 bore or 4 bore flintlock rifle? I've only seen caplocks with that size bore.

nkbj

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Certainly not that big of a bore but I'm threatening to get a rifled barrel for my Pedersoli 1816.
Haven't made up my mind yet on whether or not to make it suitable to elongated bullets as well as patched ball.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
OK I thought that I would open the big bore flintlock thread, so we don't hog the for sale thread.

Has anyone seen a 2 bore or 4 bore flintlock rifle? I've only seen caplocks with that size bore.
Yes I have one better known has a bank gun
Feltwad

oldwood

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Feltwad............What is "bank" gun????????.......oldwood

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Feltwad............What is "bank" gun????????.......oldwood
Like the punt gun they were tools of the trade for wild fowling .Used on the foreshore in the sand dunes or the sea wall , the biggest shoulder gun that could be handled against the flocks of waders that feed on the water edge of the incoming tide , and fired when within range
Feltwad

jonboyb

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Definitely, fella was trying to sell a couple 10 years ago when I went to pick up barrel. I believe the full stock was a 4 and the halfstock a 2.

My mind may be failing on me....but looks like the halfstock was an underhammer. No good pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

oldwood

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Felt.......Thanks for the enlightenment.... Used to bank shoot waterfowl on the Monongehela River south of Pittsburgh , Pa.. Just never knew it was called "bank shootin'"...oldwood

jonathan hawkin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I did have a 6b flintlock for a while, was very nice but used a lot more powder and lead, to no more effect for me than a smaller one so sold it (if covered the costs of the extra motorcycle i wanted then) was pretty though

Bighorserider

36 Cl.
Reaction score
There is a guy on youtube with a series of videos building a 4 bore rifled flintlock elephant gun. His name is Bill Raby.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Commodore, is that thar barrel swamped? How's the balance?

Leadball loader

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
That would take the enjoyment of Muzzleloading guns to the extreme. It looks punishing to me!!
LBL

Latest posts