• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

big bore fans?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with preferring a big bore. And at your size I laud you for having mastered recoil.I'm 6'2" 240.Thx for the response!

Ya, its too much for me, I'm known as the Hobbit to my son, he is exactly your size (he don't like excessive recoil either). I'd say the 870 with the 3.5 turkey loads are even worse than my 10GA SS with goose loads!

I don't think many here care what you shoot, I'm glad ya like it! I Love BP but just don't need the beatings! Enjoy yer day!

I recall the post where you were getting criticism. Recoil, generally, is a state of mind. My standard load in my .58 Harpers Ferry was 140 -150 grains Ffg behind a PRB. Recoil was a shove, not unpleasant.

Slender folks can actually handle recoil well, because they go with the flow, rather than resisting the impulse.

However, a good friend had to quit shooting for a year, after he separated his shoulder firing dangerous game double barreled rifles (ctg) trying to regulate the barrels. 20 - 30 shots a session, and film showed the rifle rising up in recoil and leaving his hands at each shot - something he was unaware of! He went about 150#.

Shoot what you enjoy. Those who criticize you don't know what they're missing. :thumbsup:

I am in full support or having a big bore section on the forum. That would be awesome. Be nice to share information with like minded folks.

The problem with very large bullets is their severe trajectory.
They fly like a football.
Dead on at 50 yards and two feet low at 75 yards.
If you put too much powder in the barrel, there is no room left for the bullet.
Fred

I like big bores, lots of fun to shoot.
I have a new Forsyth barrel begging to have a gun built around it

Much better choice for the inexperienced hunters too. Bigger is better for them.

I do try to resist the urge to over load them.
And I do like my .36 the best.

If I go to the local range looking for converts to the dark side, bigger is better

William Alexander

6 foot 5 280 here. Recoil is mostly in a person's mind. I don't pay any attention to it. But I think heavier people feel more recoil than lighter people as the lighter people move back more from the recoil. I like the big loads of powder to hunt with if they are accurate. :)

Larry

“Recoil is mostly in a person’s mind”

Yes I agree mostly, it can have a lot to do with how you think.

It has been my experience smaller people like bigger guns.
Bigger people don’t think of the bore as being bigger.

I am very recoil sensitive, more so than most.
That is one of the reasons why I like muzzle loaders.
More push than kick
My guns are built with the idea of lessoning recoil.
The next one will be .62 Forsyth.

William Alexander

I teach kids pistol. Big ones and little ones. They all start on 22 and can progress up as high in recoil as they choose. A thin kid can sway with the recoil more than a big kid, but after watching literally hundreds of kids shoot I think 90% of recoil is attitude. Some kids like it and some fear it. Some learn to adapt and overcome their fear, that is very fulfilling.

Some don't fear recoil but flinch because they try to control it.

Of course with long guns fit becomes an important variable, and traditional looking muzzleloaders aren't always the best guns for minimizing recoil. But I expect attitude is still half of the battle.

I grew up shooting Dad's .36 cal cap & ball revolver, and later the .40 cal rifle we built, and always thought of .50 cal as "big bore". Fast forward past my first .50 cal flint rifle I bought, then only a few months later got a deal on a used .54 cal cap rifle, and from that moment on, .50 cal seems significantly small.

Some folks at the range always consider the .50 cal rifles as 'big bore', are amazed when I load up the .54 cal's, and are awestruck when I showed them the balls for my .62 cal fusil.

One guy close to had a stroke when I pointed him to the guy shooting the .75 cal Brown Bess-type musket down at the end of the range.

I guess my perception of "big bore" is on a sliding scale that changes with everything I shoot that's bigger than the last, but it's not the bore diameter that would be significant in a new forum, but more of the 'Magnum Loads' in any caliber using high powder weights to propel massive slugs with the shoulder-crushing recoil.

Perhaps a new forum simply labeled: the Hi-Impact Forum would be appropriate.

my 69cal--48in barrel --flint--penna--rifle--pretty good size balls---fire your one shot then use as a club

I would think BIG would have to be clearly defined; anything BIGGER than ".75" in a smoothbore and .62 in a rifle to my mind's eye. A separate page? Sounds like good, albeit rather limited, fun.

Well, reading through the thread, I'm left to wonder where a patched ball above .50cal really makes much difference? On deer size game I have not seen any significant advantage from .50 to .54. If I were to head out for a chance at a decent black bear, I'd haul the.54 as a matter of more might be handy if 400lbs of bear shows up.

This fall I'll head west for elk. Is a .58 with a prb the way to go, or just take a .54?

Ive used both and have seen little difference other than a single cow shot after jumping her from her bed, shot at about 25 yds and she made three leaps and piled up. That was a .58 prb. .54 however has dropped a few in their tracks. Take what you shoot best and shoot well. A fifty will do too if shots kept under 60-70 yds. Shot one cow at about 50 yds with a .50 about 20 years back, she never looked up and kept feeding! I was about done reloading and peeking out from my tree when she bagan to wobble and fell over. Took her the time it took me to reload to drop.

Good luck, where ya going?

Latest posts

Back