• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.36 Caliber Fans?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used the Tried and True oil but I have used plenty of Watco and Linseed. The trick with both, or any finish for that matter, is to not let it build up on the surface in a gummy coat. Wipe it on and wipe it off after it sets up just a little. Other than that I think it's just a matter of letting the first coat dry or cure before the next coats go on. Patience is the key. Either linseed or Watco makes a fine looking finish and a tough one if they're allowed to dry for a few weeks and then given 3 or 4 coats of polyurethane or varnish wiped on and wiped off.

So does powder go a long way! I can load my .36, 5 times cheaper than my .62. Both are too fun to shoot to worry about the cost!
Agreed 100% as i have been shooting my .62 lately!

I have owned two .36 cal rifles. A Pedersoli Frontier and my current Kibler SMR. I haven't experienced fouling/loading issues. For target I swab each shot anyway, but hunting and using a .350 ball and .018 patch with Mink Oil I can shoot in the field at least ten shots + before loading becomes too tight. Great caliber.

That said, I owned Roundball's .40 for a time and if I were to have a dedicated target gun, that would have been it.

Here's my Kibler .36 doing it's job.
20210110_161159.jpg

I have owned two .36 cal rifles. A Pedersoli Frontier and my current Kibler SMR. I haven't experienced fouling/loading issues. For target I swab each shot anyway, but hunting and using a .350 ball and .018 patch with Mink Oil I can shoot in the field at least ten shots + before loading becomes too tight. Great caliber.

That said, I owned Roundball's .40 for a time and if I were to have a dedicated target gun, that would have been it.

Here's my Kibler .36 doing it's job.
View attachment 142659
Beautiful horn in that photo as well

I have a Pedersoli Frontier in .36 and have grown to really enjoy it. I can't speak too much on the fouling because I think most of my problems came from the previous owner not cleaning the rifle much. I have to shoot it with pyrodex because real black causes hard loading after the first shot. I have shot about 50 times in a row without swabbing the bore, pillow ticking and straight mink oil keep her running pretty good. Good economical caliber to shoot a lot!
I think you meed to polish the bore with some small pieces of fine grit ScotchBrite pads wrapped around a .22 caliber brush. At least 75 passes. You want the pad material to be fairly tight in the bore so it gets down in the corners of the grooves.

Hornady make 000 buckshot that is the best projectiles you'll ever use in a 36. I have 3 boxes of them, about two lifetime's supplies for me. My rifle is a hook breech half stock gun so I can take off the barrel and clean it good in hot soapy water.

Hornady make 000 buckshot that is the best projectiles you'll ever use in a 36. I have 3 boxes of them, about two lifetime's supplies for me. My rifle is a hook breech half stock gun so I can take off the barrel and clean it good in hot soapy water.
The person I bought my Kibler SMR from strongly suggested I use a .360 cast ball for accuracy. Well, I I had to use a mallet to get it down the bore. I see no improvement in accuracy over Hornady's (.350 dia.) 000, and it's much easier to load. All of his shooting is at paper targets. Most of my shooting is at tree rats. I ain't taking a mallet with me out in the field. One can purchase .350 balls, also from Hornady, but the 000 is about 5 times cheaper, and just as accurate.

I've owned two .32s and my one .36. The .36 is my favorite even though I hunted squirrels with a .32 Crockett more frequently, but that was before I got the .36. The .36 is an iron mounted, plain maple flintlock .36 X 38" X 3/4" barrel and 6 lbs & 4 oz. I like the .32 a LOT but I like the .36 much more.

Latest posts

Back