• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beware GunBroker Sales

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macman

1842 Harpers Ferry & 1795 Harpers Ferry .69 cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I open this thread only to alert the forum of a problem with GunBroker. I was just charged sales tax as a seller on a $3,000 rifle. Although GB has all the information for both buyer and seller it chose the seller to charge the sales tax. Multiple contacts with customer service did not remedy he situation. I'm changing my auction site.

I have for a long past had good dealings thru gunbroker until the last year or two they completely buggered up my account. I was required to jump thru all kinds of hoops to re-verify but the system had me going in circles. When I tried to complete a new account it wouldn't let me as the same address was already registered. Trying to get someone to converse with on the situation is near impossible.

I was not made aware of a checkout system and dealt directly with the buyer as I have done many times before. If GB was supposed to collect the tax from the buyer it did not.

It charges sales tax on the invoice. Did you take payment from the invoice or did you skip that important step and just charge what the auction result was.

I am relatively sure that if you pull up the invoice that GB provides, it will have the tax you were to charge the buyer included in the total amount you were to collect. GB collects direct from the seller AFTER the seller collects it from the buyer. it does not get involved in direct payment transactions.

A read of the rules is always appropriate in financial transactions: https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051436174-Sales-Tax

They also wont separate taxes from fees when you are a buyer so you can see what they are charging. Ive done about 100 transactions there and I will not do anymore. I flushed them along with paypal.

They've been making sellers charge sales tax for some time now. But after the seller gets it from the buyer I seriously doubt gunbroker is sending it to the states.

Now that GunBroker charges sales tax, there is no advantage for using them. A person could make out well in the past if they found a good price because transfer fee and shipping were offset by no sales tax.

I have for a long past had good dealings thru gunbroker until the last year or two they completely buggered up my account. I was required to jump thru all kinds of hoops to re-verify but the system had me going in circles. When I tried to complete a new account it wouldn't let me as the same address was already registered. Trying to get someone to converse with on the situation is near impossible.
When my computer crashed and I bought a new one the old email, hotmail, was done away with and outlook took its place. Gunbroker does not understand and says I am trying to get a new account when I have one [or something]. I cannot use Gunbroker as a result; I am blocked. I have explained it to their customer service twice and got no results. So, I look occasionally, to see how their prices are going, but don't use it at all. Edit: BTW, I lost all my email contacts. Some I have been able to restore but I lost about fifty. :mad:

Last edited:
I had account issues too. All of a sudden they needed verification etc. tried to deal with them but no good. Tried to make new account and somehow “got caught”. Offered to send my FFL, no good enough.

Finally had my gal make an account just to buy a gun here or there. Its a mess.

I have only had good experiences with Gunbroker but they seldom have anything that really interests me. (Did recently get a 2nd gen Colt army tho) Re taxes, most states are now taxing online sales - Ebay, Amazon & it seems most other online sites of any size.

I recently paid $700 on there for a shotgun. I ended up at $817 after tax and shipping etc. it was still a great deal. But i lucked out. I usually take location into consideration and ask if I can pick it up to save shipping and FFL fee.

I open this thread only to alert the forum of a problem with GunBroker. I was just charged sales tax as a seller on a $3,000 rifle. Although GB has all the information for both buyer and seller it chose the seller to charge the sales tax. Multiple contacts with customer service did not remedy he situation. I'm changing my auction site.
The sales tax is charged to the buyer - check the invoice you sent and you should see the buyer had the sales tax added and the tax was remitted to you along with your price. You're only paying to gunbroker.com the tax you were paid by the buyer.

Back