• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best way to lube conicals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long winded story. If you don't have a reloading lube sizer, or the plastic gizmo that goes on the tube of Wonder Lube your out of luck.
Now you have to find or make a lube that you can melt over low heat that will solidify when cool. Melt it in a pan deep enough to cover your bullets to the top band. Then hold your bullets by the nose and dip them in your lube. Take them out and place them on waxed paper for the lube to cool and you should be done. Any excess lube will be removed at the muzzle.
This is the way I do my .58 Minnies. Watch E-Bay they have the plastic gizmos often.
Fox :hatsoff:

Take a small piece of garden hose and cut it lengthwise. Fill it halfway with lube. Drop in the conicals and squeeze the hose together...gets the lube smeared all around and doesn't make a mess. Works best with newer hose that isn't brittle or cracking.

Hope this helps, Dave

You could dip them, as silverfox suggests, & I do that on occasion. My favorite method though is to pan lube them by standing the bullets in a pan & then pour the lube up to the height of the top grease groove. Let it stand for an hour or so to cool & you'll find the lube will have shrunk a little from around the circumference of the pan. You can then remove the 'cake' of lube/bullets & push the bullets out with your thumb. You can then either shoot them as-is or, as I do, size them first. I use SPG lube now, but have also used some home-brewed lubes.

arquebus said:
You could dip them, as silverfox suggests, & I do that on occasion. My favorite method though is to pan lube them by standing the bullets in a pan & then pour the lube up to the height of the top grease groove. Let it stand for an hour or so to cool & you'll find the lube will have shrunk a little from around the circumference of the pan. You can then remove the 'cake' of lube/bullets & push the bullets out with your thumb. You can then either shoot them as-is or, as I do, size them first. I use SPG lube now, but have also used some home-brewed lubes.
Or use some kind of cookie butter to cut them out of the solidified lube. :winking:

I shoot maxi's out of my 36.The way I lube is use a round cake pan you can pick up at a yard sale for .25.Heat on stove on low heat with bees wax and lard.Start with a small amount of wax and lard.Stand up your bullets point up as may as you want.Add lard or bees wax till it reaches the height on the bullet you want.Turn off till cools firm.Put in fridge or freez till solid.They will pull right out with a little twist.Ring is filled.

Latest posts

Back