• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best load ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,
I just purchased a original Thompson Center flintlock 50 cal. 1:66 twist round ball barrel. What is your best load ? ball size, patch, powder

Thanks
your gun will tell you what its best load is. just takes times and shots.

To all

Please remember, The Davenport formula only gives the recommended maximum powder load for target shooting. It's answer is not the maximum powder load for a gun.
If you are hunting, the Davenport formula should not be used because larger powder loads will totally burn in the gun and in doing so, will provide higher velocities without wasting powder.

I'm sorry to see anyone still recommending the Davenport formula. It's worthless, and is a good example of a problem common in the hobby, experienced members passing along bad information with a recommendation newbies use it. Misinformation passed along as dogma without having been authenticated by anyone in the long chain of people doing the same over time.

Spence

Well I have the same gun and same barrel. Which doesn’t mean we will have the same results. I target shoot and hunt with a .490 cast round ball, .018 pillow ticking lubed with track of the wolf’s mink oil and 75gr of FFg Goex. Repeat as needed

In my tc 50 with a green mountain 32" 1-66 twist barrel, my most accurate is 60 grains 2f, .490 rb with .015 pillow tick patch lubed with a beeswax/olive oil lube. That was determined over several 100 rounds down range

.495 RB, patched with linen (old napkins), lube is spit patch for targets and bear oill for hunting. 90 gr 2F for target and 120gr 2F for hunting.

Have to run damp patch down after about 7 shots with target load, and after three with hunting load.

For the most part every muzzleloader has its own "pet load". You will have to find out what your particular load is for "your" rifle. For me...that is what I really like.. finding the best load for my gun. Lots of shooting and lots of learning.

Back