• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Load for a .50 cal Longrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I charge my .50cal with 70 grains of 3F blackpowder with a patched .490 round ball. It is easy on the shoulder and will punch holes through deer. Also, it just happened to be the most accurate load for that gun.

Jeff

Mate,
I use 90 grs of Goex FFg, with a .490 grain ball and thick patch. Have shot lots of Kangas with that out to 130 yards, not to mention rabbits and the odd fox. Funnily enough have never in the 30 yrs of having this rifle punched paper with it !!

Cheers
Heelerau

Let me highly recommend the seminal work by Dutch Schoultz www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com It will answer all of your questions and give you the method by which you can relatively quickly determine what to feed your rifle for maximum accuracy. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Roguedog said:
I charge my .50cal with 70 grains of 3F blackpowder with a patched .490 round ball. It is easy on the shoulder and will punch holes through deer. Also, it just happened to be the most accurate load for that gun.

Jeff

+1 ditto etc. Most of my .50's seem to like that load and I have never NOT shot clean through my deer. Course Im an exceptional shot :bull: and always hit ribs. (I have always hit ribs though)

I have 2 separate loads for my 1:48" and my 1:60" barrels:

all my 1:48" all seem to like 50 gr. 3F best

My 1:60" gets best accuracy with 70 gr. 3F

I don't know about seminal work. It was more dusty than anything else.
Some time ago I said that any old subscribers of mine could get a Free copy of my 54 page Ebook until the end of May.
May ends next Sunday so I don't want people saying they weren't warned.
I don't know how great the ebook is. I obviously think its wonderful or I wouldn't have put it to gather.

Your opinions could vary widely from mine.

May 31st is the last day. After that I will be selling it. Possibly on Amazon.

Dutch

Hi Dutch,
I bought your excellent work several years ago and would really like to have the e-book if still available. Thanks for putting it out there. I find I go back to it from time to time just to refresh my memory on some stuff.
Rick Rodgers
Rome, NY

The Old Timers formula for a powder charge was a grain and a half per caliber which would bring your load to 75 grains.
In my experience the ideal load is 4 or 5 grains heavier than that.
I found 73 grains of 2Æ’Æ’ worked well for both of my .45's.

Dutch

Each rifle is a law unto it's own and have their own "sweet load" My advice to you is to try different load combinations until you find the most accurate at the ranges that you are planning to shoot. I have an old hatfield long rifle that has a 1/56 twist and a 39 inch barrel. It likes a .490 RB patched with .018 pillow ticking pushed by 65gr of GOEX 3f. I also have a custom .50 with green mtn barrel 1/70 twist. It likes a .495 RB patched with .018 pillow ticking pushed by 70gr GOEX 3f. The places that I hunt are typically 20 -60 yard shots. These loads are very accurate at these ranges and have plenty of power to do the job.
Another thing is that when hunting, I use bear lard as a lube. If I am shooing at the range, I use olive oil, alcohol and water mixed in equal parts. I keep the mixture in a little squirt bottle with a folding nozzle. Before lubing the patch, I place my finger over the nozzle and shake the mixture because the ingredients will separate if it sets too long. I can shoot all day without swabbing between shots.

Billnpatti said:
Let me highly recommend the seminal work by Dutch Schoultz www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com It will answer all of your questions and give you the method by which you can relatively quickly determine what to feed your rifle for maximum accuracy. :thumbsup:

That is th ticket!!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back