• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best GPR Knapper Flint Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivoryhunter4

32 Cal.
Reaction score
To date I have been using the machined flints in my Great Plains Rifle with good ignition but I want to try the English knapped flints. I have some 5/8" that seem to small, I see that Track offers both a 3/4"x 3/4" and a 3/4" x 7/8" what are you guys using and how are you placing the bevel. With the machined flints bevel up centered the spark in the pan better but bevel down hit higher on the frizzen so I would just turn them from time to time.

I was told that 5/8x3/4 would be correct for your rifle.....it works well in my GPR. I ordered them from Rich Pierce from this forum and they work better than anything I've used to date. And I use bevel down as it does place the flint at a better angle.:thumbsup:

The hammer cock on GPRs has poor geometry. If you add about 1/8th inch under the flint, it will make a big difference.

IMG_1233.jpg

You know what?...I used to fold over the lead to make a shim, but the leather is a much better idea. Thanks for the idea!!!!!!! :wink:

This may be off subject but someware I read that The new TC Cock(hammer) on a GPR would correct most of the problems. Don't know but maybe somebody could try it and let us know.
Fox :hatsoff:

That's exactly what I use and do. Track of the Wolf recommends the 3/4" square flints. I use them bevel down and they work great :thumbsup:

You probably read or saw some of my earlier posts on this topic. The TC cock makes a big difference and I highly recommend it. There are some that hate TC just because it’s TC and wouldn’t do it if it made flints for them. However, I want the best shooting gun and I am not that brand loyal so there is a TC cock on my Lyman GPR. The fact is Lyman copied TC’s lock but they copied the early one, which has the same issues. It doesn’t cost much and if you don’t like it, it is reversible. You need the cock and the jaw screw. I also got the jaw. You will have to file it a very small amount to fit it.

IMG_1239.jpg

ebiggs, I looked on the TC Arms site and couldn't find a parts list for the TC cock, jaw and screw. How would I order these?
Thanks,
Mike

You must call TC because this part is usually covered by TCs warranty and therefore, no one really buys them. It was $14.75 if I remember right.

Back