• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best common household lubricant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is best if you wash it , get the sizing off it and soften it up a bit , more natural ...spit is the best . I used crisco many times at the beginning though ...best of luck ...

Please wash the sizing out first. It will soften up the material so that the lube can get deep into the fibers. As for a patch lube for target shooting use a lube that will leave the patch damp/a bit wet and leave the fowling soft. For hunting use a grease/wax type of lube that will not affect your powder during all day of hunting without getting a shot off. For me I would discharge the gun after the hunt is over - swab the bore clean and then reload the gun the next day. My two cents worth:thumb:

I once years ago (like 40) had a .54 Hawking that LOVED Vaseline as a lube. 2" groups with Vaseline and like 5-6 with all other lubes. NOT recommending it as it petro based but just goes to show you each gun likes what in likes. Like you son may want Pizza for his birthday dinner but your daughter prefers Oysters on the half shell, lobster and filet Mignon. The rifle really can be that different. Had consecutive serial # .58 Investarms for me and my Pop and they each like a totally different load (and lube) to shoot their best groups.

Gotta play around.

Do you use ticking straight form the bolt, or do you wash out the sizing first?
Washing & tumble drying it a couple times removes the sizing & loading much easier.
When almost dry fold the material into 8-10 thicknesses, place on a firm surface of pine or a 1" thick x 2ft square of nylon stock to get clean cuts with an Osborn Arch Punch & a 2lb hammer.
Patch packing tip from an old timer;
Thread a needle with nylon thread & run through stacks of 50 or so cut patches.
Leave about 6-8" of thread on one end to tie to the strap of your shooting bag & tie a double knot on the bottom to prevent patches from falling off while hunting.
Patches will be fast & easy to remove over the knot for a quick reload..
Relic shooter

gosh! that tickin makes a real nice hunting shirt,,even dyes good and leaves a nice stripe,,,I have a couple also use the for my cowboy reenactements we do out by cooperstown new york,,,but the scraps do become patching,,,,,

Bought some ticking material, feels thick and course, should keep the balls sealed well and keep fouling to a minimum. What household lube works great with ticking? Soap/water mix? Crisco? Olive/vegetable oil? Need some imput, thanks.
All those work, just don't use petroleum products. Make my own lube but have used other lubes and still did ok and had a good time. Barstal and water are what I use if my bear fat lube is not mixed up and I am in a hurry. Everyone has a lube they like best. Try several and make your own choices. Have fun number one!!

Somewhere on this site is a sticky with moose milk. Clean the last fowling shot with the next one.
Self cleaning sure beats a jammed ramrod.

Just dont tell anyone my secret, they wont believe you.
Thats why I can shoot 75-80 rounds and never swab the barrel once.

Im too lazy to make mine so I buy Thompson Center 1000+ Number 13 bore cleaner.
Lubes and cleans at the same time.
I did the exact same thing, except I don't use moose milk, I use Ballistol (mineral oil, basically) on all of my patches, and all of my wads have been soaked in a mixture of beeswax and oil. I'm able to shoot all day and never have to swab the gun once.

Every time you ram a ball, it cleans the barrel for you, and shoots it all out with the next shot.

I did the exact same thing, except I don't use moose milk, I use Ballistol (mineral oil, basically) on all of my patches, and all of my wads have been soaked in a mixture of beeswax and oil. I'm able to shoot all day and never have to swab the gun once.

Every time you ram a ball, it cleans the barrel for you, and shoots it all out with the next shot.
My Favorite is Simple Green detergent, in a spray bottle. Used straight. For lubing patches as well as for cleaning the gun at the end of my shooting session. For hunting I use olive oil or canola oil for patch lube. There are many other lube combos out there have fun experimenting. BJH

Back