• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best common household lubricant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought some ticking material, feels thick and course, should keep the balls sealed well and keep fouling to a minimum. What household lube works great with ticking? Soap/water mix? Crisco? Olive/vegetable oil? Need some imput, thanks.

Attachments

• 20240104_194241.jpg
    20240104_194241.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Somewhere on this site is a sticky with moose milk. Clean the last fowling shot with the next one.
Self cleaning sure beats a jammed ramrod.

Just dont tell anyone my secret, they wont believe you.
Thats why I can shoot 75-80 rounds and never swab the barrel once.

Im too lazy to make mine so I buy Thompson Center 1000+ Number 13 bore cleaner.
Lubes and cleans at the same time.

Almost any household item that is slick will work. Any liquid soap from dish soap to shampoo mixed with water. Any cooking oil that you can sneak out of the kitchen. Engine oil. Hand oil. And of course, spit. There are many others that are also acceptable. You just need to dampen the patch material. No need to pour. I have a small jar with the mouth about the size of my thumb. Hold the patch over the mouth with your finger or thumb while you turn it over and back at the range before cutting the patch at the muzzle. Maybe twice is enough to just dampen the patch material.

Bought some ticking material, feels thick and course, should keep the balls sealed well and keep fouling to a minimum. What household lube works great with ticking? Soap/water mix? Crisco? Olive/vegetable oil? Need some imput, thanks.
The lube that you have that works for you is probably best. We have no way of knowing what various household lubes you gave available in your household to choose from. You will find the suggestion box full of potential candidates.

Do you use ticking straight form the bolt, or do you wash out the sizing first?

Back