• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best advice for removing a stuck nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when I was a working man I watched the millwrights use the Kroil tapping method to get the big heat bonded bolts out of our gas turbine's outer shell. One man just sat there all day and sprayed and lightly tapped with a regular ball peen hammer. Then they took an impact wrench and removed the bolts.

When I use heat on a gun I like to start with a heat gun rather than a propane torch. Much less likely to do damage to the gun.

With the application of some heat via a propane torch, and a pair of vice grips, the nipple is free! I cleaned the threads, and will lubricate it well. Thanks everyone!

The first thing to try is to apply heat to the barrel using either a heat gun or propane torch. All you need to do is get it just hot enough for a drop of water to sizzle. This will cause the barrel and the nipple hole to expand. Then touch an ice cube to the nipple to cause it to contract while the barrel stays hot. This thermal difference will loosen the nipple and allow it to be removed. However, if it is rusted in place, even this thermal treatment may not be enough to get it to come out. For treating rust, make a 50/50 mixture of acetone and transmission fluid. Acetone is available at any paint store. Put a toothpick or other plug in your nipple and pour the acetone/tranny fluid mixture into the barrel. Let it sit at least overnight and then try to remove the nipple. If you use the acetone/tranny fluid mixture first, be sure to remove all of it before heating your barrel to try the thermal treatment. Both the acetone and tranny fluid are flammable. If you are dealing with rust in your nipple threads, the way to remove the nipple is once you get it to move, don't immediately try to unscrew it completely. Rock it back and forth with your nipple wrench as you back it out. Rust forms in little layers which, when you go to back out the nipple, can layer up and form tiny wedges in the threads which will bind up the nipple again. This is true when unscrewing any rusty threaded thing such as removing a rusty nut from a bolt. Rocking the nipple back and forth tends to break up any rust "wedges" that may be trying to form as you unscrew it.

Oh, BTW, if you use acetone/tranny fluid, be sure to remove your barrel from the stock first. Acetone will ruin the finish on your stock. :cursing:

necchi said:
I lost one of those pins, I just used a sewing needle cut off to length with a dremel,(if held and bent with two pliers it'll break too) Go buy a pack of assorted size sewing needles at walmart,, one is bound to fit decent.

I raided the sewing supplies and found a needle that will work. It is installed. Now once the bluing is finished, and the ramrod arrives, this rifle will be back in business. Thanks!

Back