• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best .62 smoothbore barrel for round ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm gonna have a good friend build me a gun this winter, and it's probably gonna be a .62 smoothbore. I've already got a choked smoothbore gun for shooting shot, and I would like to have some opinions from y'all for the most accurate barrel for shooting a patched round ball. This gun will pretty much be a dedicated round ball shooter for deer hunting and the occasional smoothbore match at my local ML club. I realize the load has a lot to do with the accuracy of these guns, but which barrel would y'all pick for the best accuracy?
Also, is there another smoothbore caliber that would be more accurate than the .62 caliber with a patched .610 ball?
Thanks!

I think you will find better accuracy using a .600 round ball, with a thick patch, say, .015- .020", in your 20 gauge, depending on actual bore dimension. Use an OP wad to seal the gases for consistent SDV, and lubricate your barrel after loading the PRB by running a lubed cleaning patch down the barrel. You will get a more velocity with your PRB, and a smaller SDV.

I don't have a recommendation on choice of barrels. Some prefer the heavy 12 gauge barrels cut with a 20 gauge bore. There is no doubt that the heavy barrels do absorb a lot of barrel vibrations, and lower the sine waves on the harmonics. I have a half round Half Octagon barrel on my 20, and it seems to shoot as well as I can hold. I happen to like the lighter weight of my gun, but that is personal preferrence.

fw707 said:
I'm gonna have a good friend build me a gun this winter, and it's probably gonna be a .62 smoothbore. I've already got a choked smoothbore gun for shooting shot, and I would like to have some opinions from y'all for the most accurate barrel for shooting a patched round ball. This gun will pretty much be a dedicated round ball shooter for deer hunting and the occasional smoothbore match at my local ML club. I realize the load has a lot to do with the accuracy of these guns, but which barrel would y'all pick for the best accuracy?
Also, is there another smoothbore caliber that would be more accurate than the .62 caliber with a patched .610 ball?
Thanks!
Sounds like it must be a "smoothbore" since you're going to use it for matches, but just in case, I'll mention that I bought a GM .62cal Flint smoothbore barrel and sent it to Ed Rayl in West VA. to add rifling...he put .012" x 1:72" square bottom grooves in it and it shoots like a house afire using .600" cast balls and .018" pillow ticking. (GM's .62cals actually have .610 bores)

I have a Chambers Smooth Rifle in 28ga and I can shoot rbs like a rifle. Yes I know it is not a 100yd gun but, lets talk about 50 to 60yds....look out! I remove the rear sight and fill the gap with lead and I am deadly on the smoothbore matches. I don't know if the .54cal rb shot out of a smoothbore is inherently more accurate than a 62cal? But for me, the 28ga is superior when shooting rbs. Check out posts by our resident master gunbuilder Mike Brooks. He favors the smaller calibers for rb in a smoothie.

I wholeheartedly agree...my first smoothbore using PRBs was a GM .54cal Flint barrel with Hornady .520" balls and .018" or .020" patches surprised me at how accurate it is

Just as a general piece of info, GM drop-in smoothbore barrels aren't like that...they use .15/16" barrels for the .54cal, and 1" barrels for the .62...same amount of barrel wall left in both cases

I have a Getz swamped oct barrel on my Chambers Virginia smoothrifle and it shoots very well at 50-60 yds with a .600 ball, this barrel has a lot of meat on it and will take a stout charge but I useually use 90 gr 3f.

Hey Roundball, where do you get .520 Hornady rbs?
My Longhammock barrel loves that size. With a .15 greased patch, I can thumb start and shoot all day. Up until now, I been casting my own but I would like to have a supply of swagged rbs for that "special" occasion.

RiverRat said:
Hey Roundball, where do you get .520 Hornady rbs?
My Longhammock barrel loves that size. With a .15 greased patch, I can thumb start and shoot all day. Up until now, I been casting my own but I would like to have a supply of swagged rbs for that "special" occasion.
Mine are Hornady brand...I stumbled across a going out of business clearance sale type auction a couple years ago and bought a dozen boxes for $5 each delivered...

The most accurate smoothbore barrels for round ball are heavier and longer than the normal smoothbore barrel. I have a .60 that shoots like a rifle to about 75 yards and I have won a number of rifle and smootbore matches with it.

I custom ordered this barrel from Getz about 20 years ago. It is 48 inches long and the gun is bored out to .610 (or 20 gauge) but the outside of the barrel is the same size as a 16 gauge barrel. This means that the barrel at the muzzle is about 1/8" thick. I had the barrel made in a octagon, to wedding band to round shape to help keep the weight off.

The gun shoots like a rifle with 75 grains of 3F. The only downside is that it weighs 16 pounds. I built it into a half stock copying an English fowler style.

The theory with the heavier smoothbore barrel is that the extra mass helps to eliminate some of the harmonics and vibration in the barrel when you shoot. I don't know if that is true or not, but I can swear to the accuracy of heavy barrels for shooting roundball from a smoothbore.

The longer barrel also helps to make your sighting more accurate without a rear sight. You will probably want to make up your own tang screw rear sight. NMLRA rules prohibit a rear sight above the plane of the barrel. However an oversized screw head with a large slot in the tang that is below the barrel is legal and is a big help in hitting targets.

Many Klatch

About Barrel Harmonics. ( or Sine waves) When you fire any gun there is tremendous amounts of energy release, and it want to go in all directions. Some of it pushes the PRB out the barrel. some of it is recoil on your shoulder. The rest pushes against the sides of the barrel, making it want to vibrate, just the same as it you were to hold a string tight, and then pluck it. We would not have string instruments like violins and guitars without these vibrations.

In a Octagon barrel, the 8 sides form over lapping triangles, which are the strongest geometric structure we have. They do suppress much of the sine waves. When you make a barrel half octagon, and half round, in a half stock gun, the octagon portion keeps any flaws in the barrel mortise from influencing the barrel vibrations, and throwing the shot away from the POA. The fact that the half round portion begins where the forestock typically ends, allows the rounded portion of the barrel, which vibrates freely, to be " Free Floated " just as round barrels are free floated in modern gunstocks. ( and for the same reason). As long as the round exterior of he barrel is concentric with the bore, the vibrations are free to go in any direction, and you get good accuracy. If, however, the exterior shape is not concentric with the bore, you get a barrel that is heavier on one side than on the other, and your ball will go to different POI depending on the velocity created by different loads.

Even with a concentric barrel, there is a sweet spot for every rifle or smoothbore barrel, where it will throw all the shots to the same, small, POI. That is why we spend time adjusting powder charges and components to find the most accurate load in each gun.

Oh, in a full Octagon barrel, the harmonics are suppressed to a large extent for the entire length of the barrel. That is why " Long Rifles " have always had a reputation for being more accurate than other guns.

I bought a full octagon Winchester 94 .32 Winchester Special rifle, just to see if I would get better groups out of a factory gun than I was getting from my much later made Winchester .30-30 with its skinny full round barrel. The old gun can shot rings around the newer one! And, you can load the magazine of the octagon barrel completely with shells, and not see the typical vertical stringing of shots on a target that you get shooting a round barrel .30-30.

Oh, I got the idea that this might be how harmonics work even in modern guns, when a good friend bought a limited production Marlin 39 with a full octagon barrel that was much longer than their normal production. It was the most accurate .22 he owned, and the most accurate lever action rifle he owned. It just did not heat up and move, like happens with his other .22s and other caliber rifles. We decided that the massive extra amount of steel around the bore had to be dispursing the heat better in that gun, so that it was not affecting the harmonics as the barrel warmed. But, then, we thought about that hypothesis, and decided that the structure of the barrel ( Octagon) must have something to do with the continuing small groups, even when the gun was " HOT ". That is when we began experimenting with our ML rifles, and comparing them to round barreled smoothbores, and any half-octagon, half-round barrels we had or could find. We put the octagon barrels under the full pressure of a fully loaded magazine, just as we did with the round barrels, and the octagon was was the better shooter every time.

Something to think about.

Paul, interesting ideas about the advantages of having the octagon run all the way to the end of the barrel.

Many Klatch

The best round ball shooting smooth bore barrels I've found are "C" weight swamped barrels in 28ga.

Even with such a blatant thread title that mentions "round ball" I always have trouble remembering that this forum is also including smooth rifles and muskets as well as fowling pieces. My prior comment on dynamics was aimed at shooting shot.
Sorry.

It does show that in order to have the best of both worlds (the all around smooth bore), one must make some compromises. To have it shoot more like a rifle, it needs to be more like a rifle. To have it shoot shot more like a shotgun, it needs to be more like a shotgun.

Mike Brooks said:
The best round ball shooting smooth bore barrels I've found are "C" weight swamped barrels in 28ga.
I'm not claiming that my 33" .54cal GM Flint smoothbore barrel is in the same league as the barrel you referenced Mike, but I have to say, it is surprisingly, incredibly accurate with Hornady .520s and .018" pillow ticking...only zeroed & tried it at 50yds but man that .54cal will shoot PRBs...took deer with it just like it was a rifle

Captain, depending on the length of the barrel, I would agree. For some reason, when it comes to smoothbores, many folks seem to think any barrel less than 42 inches long won't shoot. Those same people think a breakopen cartridge shotgun with a 30 inch barrel is too long!. Go figure.

Much has to do with balance, rather than weight or length.

Mamy: Harmonics are in play with every gun fired, and there have been men working to understand, change, or control them, or use them to get better accuracy with RB, or with shot patterns since guns were invented, I think.

" Free Floating " a barrel to rid a shooter of problems with bedding, and movement of the wood as it swells and shrinks have been with us for hundreds of years. Laminated stocks were the first Modern answer; later synthetic stocks, and pillar bedding became the answer. If those shooters had simply paid attention to what was being done for hundreds of years with ML smootbores, to make them shoot RB more accurately, they would have been free floating their barrels a lot sooner.

Years ago, when I first read about Laminating gun stocks to control harmonics, I was also interested in classic guitar. You will find that in both classical accoustic guitars, and in other string instruments of the violin family, the back or sounding " boards" of the violin in better grade instruments have the wood cut in half, and then butt jointed together so that on either side of a center line, the wood grain has the same pattern. In Guitars, there is a spline put between the two pieces of wood. That controls the harmonics of the wood to give a better, fuller, sound, and allows the player to use less force to produce sound with the strings he bows. Its like having stereo speakers playing the same sound.

My classical guitar vibrates so well the hair on my stomach stands up from the vibrations! Both the low and high notes have great " Voice ".

As best I can tell, there never has been any sharing of information between violin( instrument) makers, and gunmakers concerning harmonics of wood, in any culture. Why that is true is worth pondering. It says something important about the human condition. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back