• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bess stock drop?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossyrock

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Between the Pedersoli and Miroku Brown Bess, which one has more drop to the stock? Or are they both basically the same?

I don't know what the proper way to measure stock drop is. But I just looked at my Miroku. I layed a straight edge along the top of the barrel, extending back over the buttplate. I then measured the distance from the top of the buttplate to the straightedge. It was 1-7/8".

I have no idea what a Pedersoli is.

OUTSTANDING, Chief! That is exactly what I needed to know. According to the Dixie website, the Pedersoli has 2 1/2" of drop. In theory, the Pedersoli should be easier to shoot....in theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
Is stock drop measured to the top of the buttplate or the centre of same? I dont know but i would say the centre.
Bess repros would be made to a specific pattern no matter who made them i would imagine, Otherwise they would NOT be Bess repros. There is not alot of difference between originals.

Chief, What is the measurment to the Centre of your plate? Is it the same as Mossys? :hmm:

Ok I did a google search.
According to a gun site stock drop is measured from the flat of the barrel to the top of the buttplate.
Very odd to me as it doesent take into consideration differences in size of butt plates. Some are bigger than others.

Oh well... Learn something new every day.

I'm more worried about the top of the buttplate, as a sort of indicator of where the top of the butt stock or comb will be in relation to my face. Shoulder is very much a secondary consideration with cheek bones like mine. I don't have it handy, but 2.5" sounds about right for the Pedersoli. Mine is just right for my face, and less as in the Miroku would make me apprehensive.

Measuring "Drop at Heel" is the distance described, where you measure from a line extended from the top of the barrel, down to the heel of the stock( or top of the buttplate.)

There is a second measurement for "Drop". That is "Drop at Comb". Its done by measuring down from that line along the barrel to the point of the comb closest to the wrist of the stock. Some builders refer to that part of the comb as its " Nose", largely because of the similarity of the shape of the forward part of he comb to the human nose.

In most Traditional MLer stocks, the Drop at Comb will be shorter than the Drop at Heel. When building a stock, you want to take into consideration the distance from the center of your pupil, to the underside of your cheekbone, so that your eye will naturally align with the top of the barrel,( or sights on a rifle) when you mount the gun to your face.

This is also the time to determine how much Cast-off, or Cast-on for left handed shooters, you will need to help the eye align with the center of the barrel. The eye is the "rear sight" on a shotgun or smoothbore, so positioning the eye by properly configuring the stock is important. :hmm: :thumbsup:

I just doublechecked my measurement and it still comes out to 1-7/8". That seems like a big difference from the advertised Pedersoli drop of 2.5". Maybe someone with a Pedersoli can measure theirs the same way I measured mine to verify. Since they are both replicas of the same model, I would expect them to be closer. Either way, the top of my barrel lines up with my eye perfectly. It is very easy to shoot.

I would highly recommend a Miroku if you can find one. Besides the slightly flat looking trigger guard, they are an excellent replica with a very high quality finish. I suspect the Miroku is lighter than the Pedersoli. The Italians have a penchant for making barrels thicker at the breach for perceived safety (lawyer mandated) reasons. My Bess is suprisingly light.

I just measured my Pedersoli Bess. Drop at heel is right at 2.5" and drop at comb looks to be right at 1 5/8".

Stocks with more Drop At Heel are made to accommodate people with longer necks, as this lowers the butt so it rests on the shoulder better.

I don't know that the Miroku is being sold by anyone anymore. The only source will be on the used gun market. The few I have seen here in the Midwest did appear to be well made, and finished. I don't know how well they shot. We don't see many of them for sale around here, even at gun shows and gun auctions.

Paul's discussion of drop is quite good. If one is being fussy, the drop is measured at right angles to the straightedge coming off the top of the barrel (shortest distance).

1 5/8 at the comb and 2 1/2 at the heel are pretty close to a modern US shotgun. Most (but not all) traditional guns have more drop. (English guns are more likely too have less drop, and some Jaegers, including the Edward Marshall gun)Jim Chambers gives stock dimensions for his kits, which give some idea.

1 7/8 at the heel is pretty high, even for me.

I believe that most muzzleloading shooters and builders have always only referred to drop at heel as just "drop" because Shumway only gave that dimension and they were for the most part concerned with how the stock looked and not how it fit. Drop at the nose of comb is the most critical of all measurements. If it's not right, you will either be peeking over the gun with your cheek off the stock because it's too low or unable to get down on the sights because it's too high.

Paul - You are correct, the Miroku is not available new anymore. But they were made for a number of years and show up used from time to time. I bought mine from right here in the classified ads a couple years ago.

Thanks for the added information. I have only recently begun looking at the sale site, here, and its not yet a daily habit. I used to work gun shows for my other gun club, but my back simply does not allow me to do the length of walking required at many of the shows. Now, I get to a couple of shows a year. But, I am always looking to see what kind of MLers are for sale, whenever I go. Its pretty thin around here. And the dealers all want high prices, or " Trading Prices", as they prefer to say. :grin:

For anyone who may be interested, I just checked gunbroker out of curiosity. There is a Miroku Bess available at a pretty good price right now. Its item #151459345.

ndnchf said:
For anyone who may be interested, I just checked gunbroker out of curiosity. There is a Miroku Bess available at a pretty good price right now. Its item #151459345.

HEY! Quit that!! :nono: I'm trying to be stealthy over there so he drops the price again! :surrender:
:blah:

Back