• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bess Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyd

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have several Brown Bess Questions:

1. How is the quality of the guns made in Japan for Dixie and can you get replacemnt parts for them?
2. Molds--Lyman .735 good one to start?
3. Leave in white or brown the bbl.?
4. Flint suggestion:Dixie lists a bunch of 1" flints for large flinters such as Bess--English Grey, Arkansas Cut, German Agate, and pricey French Amber (are these worth the cost?).

Tony in Seattle

My Jap Bess' bore measures .748", as does the only other one I've measured. If you use a .735" RB, the patch may have to be kinda thin. I've just used .690's and a few .715's so far.

My flints are the 1" size. I think cut flints just "look" wrong, and are pretyt expensive. Shop around and you'll locate a few sources for musket flints. If there are any Trade Shows near you, go to one. Supplies aplenty are awaiting.

nothing beats a good ol' shiny bess. keeper in the white. i like the shinyness of polished metal and it feels great to show off your handy work with the elbow grease hehe. as for the jap besses pretty good. flints...just use knapped flints, you have chosen the shoot with the big boys, there going to be a bit pricy. ive only shot with the english flint and a few times with them TC agate (ya i know :redface: )

I understand the replacement parts for the Jap Bess's are pretty hard to find. Mike Lea "The Gun Doctor" is working on making up replacement main springs, frizzens and frizzen springs. Outside of that, I don't know where you would get parts.

Many Klatch

The current gun Dixie sells is the Pedersoli product and probably the best "shooting" version out there. The English flints are the way to go.

I have to concurr w/ the other posts,keep her arsenal white,knapped ENGLISH flints.She IS an ENGLISH musket ,you know.The french amber flints would look good on a Charleville but don't put them on a Bess man!I have a Pedersoli Bess and have found she prefers the .715 ball patched or a .735 UN patched.I cannot get the .735 ball downbore w/ a patch.Can't speak about the Japanese besses.Best regards,J.A.

I know ...pls dont yell at me...But I japanned my 1 st model besses barell... :redface:

for rust protection "easier to aim aswell".....If I ever march in line it is no problem to polish the barel bright again..

Latest posts

Back