• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bent Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRANKCORNBREAD

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used T/C Hawken in .54 cal. All looked fine upon delivery, although I am new to this discipline so I may not know what to look for. When I finally got to the range with it and sat it in the rest I noticed a bend in the barrel. This was only visible to me as a newbie when I could step back a few paces and look along the length of the barrel from above. The bend is about six inches from the muzzle and upon close measurement later is about .070 in six inches. Slightly more than 1/16". The rear sight is adjusted over a few clicks to the right, bend runs left. Seller said the gun shoots well, especially after he sent the barrel to T/C for adjustment. He said the rear sight was all the way right to compensate but didn't mention the bent barrel.

My question as a neophyte is should this be considered normal in a T/C barrel?

Thanks for any help.

FC

Sounds to me like the adjustment was to bend the barrel.

I would send it to T/C & ask them to correct the barrel that doesn't shoot correctly. Tell them it was there for correction once before but it is still not right.

You might get lucky & end up with a new barrel. And if ya don't all you are out is the mailing fees.

Frank: I am the guy that sold you the gun. Did not notice a bent barrel. I went by the paper that came back with it from T/c. Have that paper with you when you call T/C. If there is a name on it try to talk to the guy that worked on it. I did think it shot ok when I got it back. The deer wished it didn't. If you have to send it in let me know the postage you pay. I will send it to you. Monday mourn I should be around if you want to call. Jim

I wonder how many places you would have to go to find folks as honest as spitpatch?

You folks on the Muzzleloader Forum are the best! :hatsoff:
zonie :)

Hi Jim.

Thanks for the good talk. Indeed, the integrity among forum members is to be commended. Shooting Monday and making a phonecall to T/C after. Let you know the results.

BTW, my dad says to tell you that since he's on a fixed income he can't drive to OK but he can shoot a 1000 yds. ( 7mm STW w/ remington action ) He liked the "Jim's at church" bit.

FC

"I wonder how many places you would have to go to find folks as honest as spitpatch?" I have a gut feeling that such is the norm around here, just a hunch but I would lay a strong bet on it.

FrankCornbread said:
My question as a neophyte is should this be considered normal in a T/C barrel?

Thanks for any help.

FC

Normal? Unfortunately, I think it may be normal for T/C. Of the five T/C rifles I've owned over the years, three have required the sights be very obviously off set to get shots centered on target.

Back