• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bending a tang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfers

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone ever heated and bent a tang to match the profile of the stock
Thanks

Yes, all the time. Though the bend is usually so little that I don't have to heat it.

First thing to do with a breech tang is to saw it to about half its thickness. They usually come way too thick. Colerain breech tangs are like a quarter inch or more thick. :shocked2: That's too much to have to inlet!

my experience is similar with Colerain tangs ... there's so much metal that I didn't bend it; I just took away steel until it was flush... (maybe that's their intent) ... other tangs I've just cold bent, as that Alabaman shows ... his method worked for me, and I've only driven through Alabama (but it was sort of pretty, in a hot steamy delta sort of way).

good luck with your project!

I have had to cut out the fillet between the lug and tang so I could begin the bend closer to the end of the barrel.

i bent mine cold over the anvil horn and used a piece of hickory sledgehammer handle as a mallet. very slow process, but you sneak up on the shape almost perfectly. worked for me

Never heated a tang when bending and here's my procedure, although there are many ways to do this.

First thing is to get rid of the large radius at the juncture of the tang bottom and bolster and replace it w/ a 1/32" fillet. The depth of the bolster, front to back is reduced but still long enough to use a wrench w/ shims to install and remove. The thickness of the tang is reduced from the bottom. The three sides of the bolster are filed w/ an angle.

A carboard template is made of a short length of the bbl and the adjoining wrist and this is used to form the tang.

W/ the breech plug screwed into the bbl, the tang is clamped horizontally at various positions in a vise and is bent using the bbl as leverage until the shape coincides w/ the template.

Side draft is then filed on the tang and it's ready for inletting.....Fred

+1 for filing the Colerains flush. I did similar with a long tang on a Rice, but it was much more bending and a lot less filing. Just bent it cold.

I cut into the lug web to get the bend closer to the breech then saw a few cross cuts into the bottom of the tang to let it bend easier if it is thick. Then using the barrel for a lever I bend it between the jaws of an open vise. If you want to get scientific, you can clamp a round rod of the appropriate size with the tang to give it a smoother radius.

I've done it several times, hasn't really been that big of an issue, I've used a piece of metal pipe close to the arc I want and gently tap it around with a brass hammer.

Back