• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beginning bullet casting 101, HELP!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an electric Lyman pot and start on high to melt the lead, then turn it down to keep at a nice smooth surface while casting. I did empty and clean the pot today and it didn't have much stuff in it. I started casting with pretty pure lead (Lead pipe) in the pot and it did not have much dross. Then I emptied pot to try to other stuff and it is junk. I dumped it and cleaned the pot for future use with good stuff.

Perhaps some type of alloy.... :idunno:

That said, I always melt lead in two steps....First I melt and clean it in one of several cast iron pots over a burner....To burn off any impurities and to clean the lead and make nice ingots.( do this outside)

The ingots then go into my casting pot and are made into ...whatever....

I think what you have going on there is lead is a different, and lighter, molecule than lead oxide. PbO floats in Pb. So when you melt it the lighter impurities ("dross" - including lead oxide) float to the top.

When you are trying to float your way up through something as dense as liquid lead it takes a while and some mechanical stirring will help; as do fluxing agents. The opposite of flocculants that cause crud to sink in brewing beer, etc. That's why even "clean" lead can contain impurities.

Not enough reason to change what has worked >30 years and high speed fan keeps fumes away.
TC

I use a Lee magnum melter myself, at 7 1/2 it will make perfect round balls all day long, .495 for my .40 cal. .380 for my pistol, and .490's for my .50 cal. I just made in 2 sessions (yesterday and the day before) 312 .380's with no rejects. Just saying I don't think you need the Temps so high Imho.

Back