• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beginner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyallen98

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've been doing some looking for a flintlock and was wondering what rifle would be best for a beginner I've read that production rifles locks leave alot to be desired but can't afford a handmade one just yet I'm looking for a smooth bore mainly for hunting purposes. The two I have narrowed it down to is the pedersoli trade gun or the brown bess carbine does anyone have experience with either gun?

I just got a brown bess carbine. Took it out and it was reliable and a lot of fun. Haven't tried the Pedersoli Trade gun. I am holding out for a custom trade gun. The brown bess was just because I have no patients and really wanted a smoothbore. I am sure someone can give you a more long term review.

Perhaps some kind person will help me out. Are they talking about Rifles or Smoothbore Muskets...??
Even the Pedersoli website appears to use those terms interchangeably and I'm unsure which of their offerings are rifled, and which are smoothbore.
Thanks.

I had a Pedersoli Indian trade gun, was a great gun. I sold it for a semi custom gun but there is nothing wrong with them at all.

I wouldn't totally rule out production guns, especially older TC's and Lymans. Guns are solid and quite good shooters and easily broke down to clean. Can find some on this forum and online auction sites plus I see them in gunshops from time to time. Good luck.

If it says rifle it should have rifling unless it says smooth rifle. Muskets get a little more tricky. Some places will say rifled musket and some just say musket. You really want to read the specifications and see what they say about the twist rate on those. All brown Bess and trade muskets should be smooth bore. The trade gun should say trade rifle if it isn’t.

I am probably leaving something out and someone will fill in.

Perhaps some kind person will help me out. Are they talking about Rifles or Smoothbore Muskets...??
Even the Pedersoli website appears to use those terms interchangeably and I'm unsure which of their offerings are rifled, and which are smoothbore.
Thanks.
On the Pedersoli site, click on long guns, then click on the model you're interested in. When the page comes up click on the picture of that model, and the specs will appear below. It will list the number of grooves and the rat of twist in mm.

I've been doing some looking for a flintlock and was wondering what rifle would be best for a beginner I've read that production rifles locks leave alot to be desired but can't afford a handmade one just yet I'm looking for a smooth bore mainly for hunting purposes. The two I have narrowed it down to is the pedersoli trade gun or the brown bess carbine does anyone have experience with either gun?
When choosing a first flint lock firearm, consideration must be given to defining what the end purpose will be. Will the gun be used for hunting? Will the gun be used for shooting birds or other fowl? Will the gun be used for shooting targets either fixed in place or on the wing. Since Cody is looking for a hunting gun, the first consideration is weight. The Brown Bess carbine will be heavier than the Trade gun. The Trade Gun by Pedersoli weighs 7.27 pounds. The Brown Bess Carbine weighs 7.93 pounds. Over a day of hunting that half pound will make up a lot of difference. The Trade gun is a 20 gauge or 6.15" caliber and the Brown Bess Carbine is an 11 gauge or 0.750" caliber. The Trade gun is 52" in length while the Carbine is 47" in length.

For hunting, I would consider the Northstar West Trade gun listed for sale on the Forum. It will be lighter in weight and a 12 gauge. It should have a good lock if it was tuned by Curley Gostomski. It should be easier to handle than either of the Pedersoli guns. It is getting some interest in the Forum's classified section.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/northstar-west-12ga-left-hand.162471/#post-2315669

Yes, if the specs have the word "smooth bore" attached to the gun then it will have no rifling and handle both ball and shot. A "smooth rifle" looks like any other rifle except the barrel is smooth bored with no rifling. Terms like smoothbore, musket, shotgun really refer to the same type gun. "Musket" means the gun is military in nature while "fowler" is a civilian term. I have a rear sight on my 20ga and get near rifle type groups at 50 yards. Mine has killed deer with prb.

Back