• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
OK well I made some beer (well it's Ale, but back in the 18th century every malt based, fermented beverage, that used hops was called Beer). It came out that it should be about 6.5% ABV when done. A simple, inexpensive, brown beer. Funny thing is that although the house is pretty steady at 68° F, we are coming up on 2 weeks and it's not done fermenting.

four gallons distilled water
1/2 tsp bread salt
two cans of amber malt extract 3 lbs. each (unhopped)
Four ounces rolled oats
two ounces leaf hops
1 packet of Edme Ale Yeast

The ale yeast was pretty old, so I boiled four ounces of distilled water, and added a tablespoon of white sugar, and this was placed in a small mason jar to cool over night. I then proofed the yeast by adding it to the mason jar after it had cooled in the fridge. I placed the lid on the jar, and "burped it" about every half-hour.

During the next two hours the yeast began working well, so I put it back in the fridge to go to sleep.

During that two hours I boiled two gallons of the water and added one can of unhopped, amber malt extract, and brought it to a boil. I added one ounce of the hop leaves to the first boil, a pinch of bread salt [nutrients for the yeast] and let it simmer for 10 minutes. I put the other ounce of hop leaves, raw, into my 6 gallon, glass carboy.

After ten minutes of boiling I added the first wort (unfermented beer-base is called a wort which is Old English for "tea" as in Saint John's Wort [tea]). The heat from the scalding liquid would sterilize the raw hops in the carboy...which were added for flavor. The ten minute boil of the hops in the first boil was for bittering.

I started the second wort with two gallons of water, the other can of malt extract (I took a reading with my hydrometer and it should ferment out around 6.5%), and the 4 ounces ( ½ cup) of rolled oats (after I took the reading). The oats give this non-grain brew some protein molecules and a tiny smidge of unfermentable starch, which should give the beer a good foam. I let it boil for ten minutes, and then added it to the carboy. I capped the carboy, installed a fermentation lock, and placed it outside on my deck to cool overnight.

Yes, there are folks that have to cool their wort in under an hour, but in the closed environment that I established, nothing should have contaminated the wort. [touch wood, scratch a stay, turn three times, "May the Lord and Saints preserve us"]

The following morning I brought in the brew, added the yeast, replaced the cap with the fermentation lock, and placed it all in a nice constant temperature location out of direct sunlight.

So it was really active on the evening of day two, and has been slowly reducing activity, but today it was still bubbling around every 30 seconds. As the gas comes through the fermentation lock...it smells like good beer.....

Why two 2-gallon brews? They are heavy and I didn't want to be handling four gallons of scalding wort.

Why take the reading on the second batch? The fermentable bits of both batches were the same. 2-gallons of water, one can of extract, but the first batch had hops and salt, and this can skew the hydrometer, so the second boil was checked with just the extract and water, then the oats were added.

Why not all grain? I was doing things on-the-cheap.

So when the bottle stops bubbling, I will siphon off the beer from one carboy into a second, sanitized carboy. This will oxygenate the beer a little and make sure the yeast has finished its work. That will also remove the beer from the old yeast and the hop leaves. This is called "racking". This will sit for a week, and if it doesn't start bubbling again, it will be bottled.

Bottling will consist of adding a cup of sterilized sugar-water containing 4 oz. of natural cane sugar, and then the brew will be poured into bottles or jugs and capped. Two weeks and the yeast remaining in the brew should have added a tiny bit of fizz.

I don't have to carbonate it, and I only do a little carbonation, as I think some bubbles adds to the beverage, but one could bottle it and serve it as is.

Should be ready by New Years. I hope it works.

LD

I used to brew some, but gave my stuff away after doing it for a couple of years. I drink less beer/ale now and with the growth of good local brewpubs/breweries have just gone to drinking good local stuff.

Great story LD.....Hope it turns out ok....
I'm no stranger to brewing....There are a lot of things you did that raised my eyebrows.....but the end results are what matter.
The last brown ale I made was all grain and I roasted all the malt myself...
Been almost 10 years since I did an extract brew....
What hop did you use?

we are coming up on 2 weeks and it's not done fermenting.

This may just be caused by a slow start or not having a high enough cell count.
Or it could be an infection or autolysis.
I've never used the Edeme yeast (I assume your talking s-33) and would never use a yeast that came with extract kit..
So I'm not familiar with it's characteristics.

In many ways many things you did would be representative of what a colonial brewer might have done.
So the end results might be somewhat similar.

Yep! I had to go research that one.....
As a lover of both baking and brewing I had never heard of it before..... :hmm: I suspect It's a marketing ploy....
Regardless, I've never heard of it being used for brewing...
My knowledge of yeast cytology is limited...I'm no strange to using yeast nutrient, but that is usually urea, not salt with "minerals".
I know that bread yeast and brewers yeast are different and are used differently and behave differently....
Yeast is used in bread mainly to add flavor and leaven the bread.....In beer its primary function is to consume sugar and produce ethanol....
Bread yeast makes terrible beer...and salt retards yeast growth.....
When making Ale beer generally you want the yeast to consume the sugar as quickly as possible....

I once got to read an original brewing manual from an 1840's brewery.....And I was astonished at just how advanced those brewers were....

Anyway I'll be interested to see how it turns out.......people put all kinds of weird things in beer....even guilty of it myself..... :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that bread yeast and brewers yeast are different and are used differently and behave differently....
Yeast is used in bread mainly to add flavor and leaven the bread.....In beer its primary function is to consume sugar and produce ethanol....

Ah but that's 20th century bread yeast....and it was developed to not give a unique flavor, and works at much higher temps than either ale or wine yeast, because the yeast company doesn't know if you're making French bread or focaccia, or something else..., and to cut down the time from making the dough to beginning the bake. In fact the yeast was developed to give off more gas and make very little alcohol, as the gas is the leaven...this is especially true for "rapid rise" yeasts....so we save time, but have lost flavor (imho).

But back in the flintlock day, ale yeast WAS bread yeast. :wink:

I've made bread with "barm" which is some of the cap off of a vigorous fermenting batch of ale...and I've made bread with new trub, the yeast cells that have settled to the bottom of the fermenter (some old sources call it lees, but today that term is usually understood to be the sediment off the bottom of a wine fermentation vessel) The bread does taste much better (imho) than when using something like Red Star or Fleischman's, even when using trub that has some hop flower bits left in it. Baking bread with brewing yeast does take some learning, as I found that using ale yeast means you make your dough and knead it once around 8 p.m. and let it sit covered overnight, until 4 a.m....then punch it down and knead it, fire your oven, and at about 6 a.m. it will be ready to bake. You use liquid barm/trub instead of the water called for in a modern recipe when you make the dough. It works well. I've also done it with a sponge of previous dough, and the timing was the same.

The fermentation halted yesterday. So I should be good.

As for bacterial contamination, well I've had it a couple of times, but that takes a while to manifest, OR...you get the rotten egg smell right away. In all of my cases it was from improperly cleaned stuff during bottling, not the brewing and fermenting.

Clyde probably raised eyebrows at the oats, and pouring the hot wort onto the raw hop flowers without boiling them. With the hop flowers, it's a little less risky than dry-hopping onto the cold, fermented beer at the end of the fermentation and first wracking. The long cool-off time inside the sealed carboy that I get pretty much pasteurizes the wort.

The oats aren't necessary if you actually use all grain or mostly grain recipes. In early recipes beans were often recommended, probably for the same reason, to give a really foamy head. These recipes are long before thermometers were widely used in the kilning of the malt... and a dark brown malt which was common in England probably had damaged or destroyed proteins...so a poor head would result..., while boiling some beans in the brew would add some good protein...that's the theoretical explanation, anyway.

I've tried a couple of the really old recipes calling for beans....but talk about the beer-farts! :shocked2: Using lentils instead of new world beans doesn't change the gas results. :shake:

So I don't use beans even if the recipes says to do so.

An old trick of all malt-extract recipes is to use four ounces of torrified-wheat, ground, in the brew for a five gallon batch. It's often the only real grain that some of the cheaper recipes use, and it makes a big difference in the foam and the "lacework". I found that a half-cup of oats will have a similar effect...not quite as good, but easier to do.

LD

Last edited by a moderator:
Clyde probably raised eyebrows at the oats, and pouring the hot wort onto the raw hop flowers without boiling them. With the hop flowers, it's a little less risky than dry-hopping onto the cold, fermented beer at the end of the fermentation and first wracking.
I've used oats many times....but if you use old fashioned oats you need to cook them to explode the starch granules....or just use quick oats. With a extract wort oats won't be fermentable by yeast Because the extract is non-diastatic....meaning it has no starch converting enzymes that convert the starch into sugar that the yeast can eat....However some wild yeast strains and bacteria can eat the starch....however, depending on the style of beer being made this would either be acceptable or would be considered an infection, because the wild yeast and bacteria will contribute their own flavors to the beer.

Your late method of adding hops simply replaces a flame -out addition to the kettle prior to using a chiller...I'm not to concerned about dry hopping as hops are anti-microbial and a preservative.

Still curios what hop you used??? :hmm:

Wish I was there to try your beer....Can't wait to hear how it tastes.... :thumbsup:

I've tried a couple of the really old recipes calling for beans
That's one of those beer ingredients that usually gets me preaching about the Reinheitsgebot (German Purity Law) adopted in 1516.... :haha:

An old trick of all malt-extract recipes is to use four ounces of torrified-wheat

I prefer wheat over oats for adding protein to aid in head retention, body and mouth feel...
You can make your own terrified wheat or barley by putting it in an air popcorn popper and heating it until it pops. If you use malted barley and pop it in a popper you end up with an equivalent of early brown malt, the only thing missing would be smoke from a wood fired kiln.

The long cool-off time inside the sealed carboy that I get pretty much pasteurizes the wort.

Boiling pasteurizes the wort..So that's not my concern....I'm a proponent of rapid cooling because my concern is the production Dimethyl sulfide (DMS) ...I hate it in my beer. Rapid cooling also reduces oxidation and facilitates the cold break, saves time etc......

I made a heat exchanger that will reduce the temp from boiling to 125 degrees in a single pass....now that's fast...

Well...I like Kent Golding, and Hallertau, and Tettnanger, Fuggles, and I found Mt. Hood wasn't bad, BUT some of the more recent strains....waaay too much citrus. I tried some Cascade a decade ago and ended up with grapefruit beer, and now I understand there are types with even higher alpha and beta acids. :shocked2:

I didn't really choose the hops....a hunting friend's dad stopped brewing so he brought over a box of leftover ingredients, and the leaf hops were in there. Plus a bunch of tools and unused caps....so I figured what the heck?

LD

Ah well...,

Not very memorable. Very little protein so the head wasn't very good, but a better quality than canned beer, better than the mass produced bottled beers, from the largest breweries i.e. Bud or Miller, YET not quite as good as Yuengling, and below any of the micro breweries.

Considering though that the total cost for ingredients was $20...it wasn't a bad experiment.

LD

Will you brew again?

What would you do differently?

Have you tried a wheat beer?

Have you thought about going all grain? The "Brew in a bag" method is an easy way to do an all grain beer without the extra equipment.

Latest posts

Back