• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bedford lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Deer

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking of building a Bedford rifle. I have started doing some research on them so that I can get it right. My question at the moment concerns the lock. The only maker of a Bedford lock that I have seen so far is L&R. I have heard/read many mixed reviews on L&R and was wondering if there are any other makers of Bedford locks. Any information would be appreciated.

As far as I know, L&R is the only company currently making that classic looking Bedford, long and lean lock. If you look at a lot of Bedford rifles you'll see that it is not the only style that was used. If you are dead set on having that particular lock, chances are you will get a functional piece of equipment. Good luck!
Robby

I used one on the Bedford rifle that I built and it is a good sparker and haven't had any problems so far. It goes off every time.

L&Rs Bedford flintlock is basically a stretched baby/small Manton. I have used this and the babies and had good luck with them over the years, as they are very quick and reliable!

But wait! You didn't say if you are building flint or percussin did you?
Most, if not all, surviving Bedfords were percussion.

Thanks for the replies everyone. BTW it will be a flint. From the little bit I have read so far, and according to book "Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon, &Somerset Counties", there were plenty of flintlock Bedford rifles made.

To tell you the truth, any problems I have had with an L&R lock recently was dealt with swiftly and reasonably by the guys at L&R. Even when I ruined a fly in a lock it was replaced by them at no charge. I fully expected to pay for it but was not permitted to, and find that attitude to be quite refreshing in these modern times. Mine is not a Bedford, rather it is a Durrs Egg, and after watching video of myself shooting it, man it is quick! Wish I was a better shot :idunno:

My Bedford is a convertible so it can use both the percussion or the flint Bedford lock from L&R.

I haven't had a problem with either one of them. :thumbsup:

I put L&R's Durrs Egg on my Southern Mountain rifle and it's never given me a minute's trouble.

just one guy's free comment, and no doubt well worth the price.

Back