• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Replacemnt Lock for Investarms/Lyman Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedidiah

Old, Grumpy & still kickin !
Reaction score
I have an Investarms Flinter, that I had Bobby Hoyt bore out to .58 smooth and cut to 28 inches. While the lock seems to work well, I was wondering if anyone knows of a Lock or Locks that could replace the original without too much angst & work? I am aware the L&R makes a replacement, but I have been reading many posts recently that the quality for the lock seems to have gone down hill? Any and all recommendations or comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Gemmer Hoyt Hawken.jpg
    Gemmer Hoyt Hawken.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 4
I have basically the same rifle in a 54 with rifled barrel, the lock doesn't make fireworks like some you see on here but it is dead reliable. If I see a replacement OEM lock cheaper than what they seem to bring I might pick it up for a spare to keep the rifle going should something ever happen that isn't easily fixed. A backup rifle won't cost a lot more than an 'upgrade' lock if you watch for deals, and that is the most likely way I will get my spare parts.....

I have an invest arms Lyman Great Plains flint . . it is LH so I don't know if the RPL is an option, but I've never had any problems with it. The springs are not as heavy as my Silers, or the L&R manton I am currently using in a new build . . . or to put it another way, the Lyman cocks with less pressure and thus falls with less pressure . . . but with a black English flint, it has been just as reliable as my TVM and Chambers rifles. I'd guess that the L&R is a better lock, but may not be necessary in my opinion. I put an ox-yoke allen head touch hole liner in it and have taken two whitetails with it . . . I have confidence in it. A new mainspring from Lyman might be all you'll ever need.

I have an invest arms Lyman Great Plains flint . . it is LH so I don't know if the RPL is an option, but I've never had any problems with it. The springs are not as heavy as my Silers, or the L&R manton I am currently using in a new build . . . or to put it another way, the Lyman cocks with less pressure and thus falls with less pressure . . . but with a black English flint, it has been just as reliable as my TVM and Chambers rifles. I'd guess that the L&R is a better lock, but may not be necessary in my opinion. I put an ox-yoke allen head touch hole liner in it and have taken two whitetails with it . . . I have confidence in it. A new mainspring from Lyman might be all you'll ever need.
Thanks, it seems to work well. Maybe I am concerned about nothing? However I do like the looks of the L&R RPL #5. I also opened the flash hole liner to 1/16.

Attachments

• Gemmer Lock test.jpg
    Gemmer Lock test.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That sparks at least as well as mine and probably a little better, I wouldn't change a thing, other than making sure you have enough extra flints.

Back