• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel twists on a few of my BPPs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BowerR64

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have 1 more in the shop getting a new front sight put on it but these are the ones i have. Posted an image of my shooter model for another post figured while i had my camera stuff setup ide "shoot" em all

These arnt the best images some are not perfictly straight down the barrel but you can see some of the twist the lands and grooves a little barrel pitting.

BarrelTwists2_zpsaed7172e.jpg

In another post some one mentioned that the shooter version isnt the only 1858 pietta made with a progressive twist barrel so i was curious and started to look at mine a little better. I have this one older brass trigger guard model (BH) that shoots about as good as the shooter model if not better and i was always curious about it.

BarrelTwists_zps1c12e6f3.jpg

Ide never heard before that pietta made other models with a brass trigger guard with a progressive twist barrel and dixie gun works has one listed. My shooter model is the only one that appears to have the LH twist wich seems different then the others.

How ever when looking at them i have 2 new ones i just got last month with CL date codes and they have the most twist of any of the others i have. Some one mentioned it may be because of cowboy conversions.

On another forum i posted how i looked at the twist rate its not precise but it gives me an idea at a glance. When holding the gun looking down the barrel (unloaded with the cylinder out) front sight up i pick a land or groove that is about 6:00 and i follow it till it stops at the forcing cone. Most of mine start at say 6:00 and end at 9:00 RH twist.

The shooter starts at say 6:00 and stops at 3:00 LH twist.

The 2 new ones i have CL date codes start at 6:00 and stop at 12:00!

Not sure if you can see it in the images on how the twist curves my images may not be good enough to see it but i believe the newer piettas or a select few of them maybe have a twist designed more for cartridge conversions? Both of mine came from the bargin cave at my cabelas for dirt cheap.

If anyone is interested in this?

I found a couple Buffalo/Texas models at a pawn shop near me got the first one (stainless) and it shot like a lazer (12" barrel) so i went back and got the other one but it was not int he same condition and didnt shoot as good either.

The barrel has some very bad pitting, rust? lack of cleaning? pyrodex? not sure but when i run a patch down it you can feel the pitting snag the patch. It shoots ok but nothing like the others

Newvspitted_zps1f3d9b63.jpg

Here is an older one i got at a gun show it was never shot and i tried to lap the barrel or polish it. It got a little better

Lapping_zps4699fbf7.jpg

Ruger blackhawk left and Dan Wesson 357 i think model 17 (kinda hard to get a good image of it for some reason)

Rugerandwesson_zpsba868adb.jpg

Thanks for the pics. You got me wondering so I'm going to go look at mine a little closer.

Here is one i dont have any more. While cleaning it with a patch i noticed in a few spots i could feel it seem to get easier to push and i could see a little lump on the outside of the barrel.

wrinkle_zps363d121a.jpg

Turns out it was a bulge from a squib or something and i must of shot it after the squib. I dont remember it but thats what i heard can do it.
Wrinkle2_zps93adc157.jpg

I just checked both of my pietta and found my new 1851 CL has a faster twist than my 1858 CD.
I had no idea they would be different

Other then just looking at it what method did you use to conclude one is faster?

Just looking down both barrels side by side. It really surprised me how much difference there was.

Back