• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Liners for ML doubles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjkershul

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an original 10ga double that I would like to have liners put in the damascus barrels. Can anyone recommend a good shop for this job?

You might talk to Mark Beinke, at Sprague River, Oregon. 541-533-0909. He does liners for Springfield Trapdoors, and he might be able to do this work for you, too.

Years ago, now, a friend restored an L.C. Smith, breechloading, Damascus barrel shotgun by having Oscar Gaddy make new steel barrels for it. They cut off the damascus barrels in front of the chambers, then bored out the chambers to accept a " sleeve" cut on the ends of the two barrels. The barrels were then epoxied to the chamber block, and the only visible sign of the marriage is a very thin line where the orignal barrels were cut off.

There was enough metal at the back end of the orignal barrel to allow this to be done. It allowed Oscar to NOT HAVE to deal with welding a new pivot block to the barrels, and by using the original barrel chamber, he was able to keep the barrel regulation problems to a minimum.

I thought the gun was a bit muzzle heavy, but Charlie assured me that the original gun was just as muzzle heavy, and he didn't want to " improve " the gun so much as to have an heirloom that he could shoot, and his son could shoot when he is old enough. Apparently, the gun was used for shooting ducks and geese, and not upland game. Those muzzle heavy doubles were great for pass shooting, but not much fun to be lugging around corn fields, hunting pheasants. :nono: :rotf: :thumbsup:

This was recently discussed on a double gun site I freguent. The topic seemed to generate around the cost of approx. $1500 to have it done, at least the way I would want it done. The original barrels are bored out full length, leaving the original Damascus exterior. Then new sleeves are fit inside of these and back to the orginal ga. To me it would be the best of both worlds. The look of Damascus, the strength of new steel. But, as you can see, it is not cheap. It is said that Briley in Houston, Texas does it, as does Kirk Merrington in Kerrville, Texas. There is also a company on England that does it called Teague.

:v I was at The Gun Works shop recently and they had several relined doubles in the rack, these were Damascus hammer guns that they had lined with various calibers, .45 up to .577. Looked very nice! So I would certainly recomend a call to Joe Williams. Mark Brenke has been making high quality liners for years. So you have at least two good choices here on the west coast. Good luck and happy shooting. :v

Back