• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twice, come out to Colorado this fall and I'll take you grouse hunting, and wager that I kill as many as you. :thumbsup:

northof58 said:
I am thinking of a .62 smoothie. What length of barrel should I be ordering? I would like to shoot both round ball and shot from it. Round ball for deer or moose and shot for grouse etc.

There's an old saying that will guide you well: Those who can, do...and those who can't.......teach.
:wink:

Mike Brines said:
Twice, come out to Colorado this fall and I'll take you grouse hunting, and wager that I kill as many as you. :thumbsup:
Bro I will be there if that's a real invite. But do I have to shoot mine on the wing while you shoot your off the tree branch.. :rotf:

Just let me know when.
Twice.

Mike Brines said:

Mike, I have no idea what you shoot but it sucks and mine is better.

Now can I come hunting with yall too. :wink: Chris

roundball said:
northof58 said:
I am thinking of a .62 smoothie. What length of barrel should I be ordering? I would like to shoot both round ball and shot from it. Round ball for deer or moose and shot for grouse etc.

There's an old saying that will guide you well: Those who can, do...and those who can't.......teach.

Wow, there's a completely inappropriate reply to the question asked.

:haha: and :yakyak:

So, why did northof58 ask the question? Are you saying that he should not bother the experienced membership here and just work it out for himself? I guess he could acquire a gun with a long barrel and start sawing off pieces until he gets a length that works.....

:shocked2:

Or goes past it and has to glue barrel and stock pieces back on. Marginally effective but expensive.... Hmmmmm.

And no, I'm not a teacher or professor but then maybe only Cannons are....

:rotf:

Va.Manuf.06 said:
Twice boom said:

All is made to sound nice and easy sitting in front of the computer’s key board but when someone takes the time to break down exactly what happens in REAL life on a Real Grouse Hunt the Law of Physic just can't be denied of the truth....

Twice.

Twice, you may be right however your experience doesn't include the use of the long barrel and tg's does - he has been quite successful using the long barrel just as you have been with short barrels. The laws of physics still apply, they are not changed by barrel length. It is just a matter or personal taste - it just takes practice using what you have.

Personally I come down on the side of long barrels - 44.5 inch long and .69 caliber but it does take a lot of work to hit a quail with a .64 caliber round ball..... Maybe that's where the laws of physics come in? :idunno: 20 years of school and I still don't know or have forgotten in the intervening time.

I don't think tg has hunted where I have to count his experience a true blue wing shooter.
Simply because making do with a gun does not make it the best gun for wing shooting.

I understand the power of romance with the past. I too am a romantic that”˜s why I choose to hunt with a hundred and sixty five year old gun while my buds dressed in their best Berretta has to offer shoot sixteen bore German and English breech loading guns.
But, do I argue with them that they are at a disadvantage :>) nope. But they respect me as I do those that are of the romantic nature .

I dissected my argument to not include romanticism ,--unlike my long barreled friend from the west cost -- and confined it to say only that the short barreled gun is suited best for wood grouse hunting and anything the hunter intends to take on the wing..

I plan on hunting Chukar in Oregon come fall. I’ll gladly invite tg to hunt the Chukar hills with me if I thought he’ll show up with his long barreled long Tom and show me how wrong I am . Hell we’ll even dress period for the locals.

Twice.

August West said:
Mike Brines said:

Mike, I have no idea what you shoot but it sucks and mine is better.

Now can I come hunting with yall too. :wink: Chris

Not Better. Better suited.. :grin:
Twice.

"I plan on hunting Chukar in Oregon come fall. I’ll gladly invite tg to hunt the Chukar hills with me if I thought he’ll show up with his long barreled long Tom and show me how wrong I am . Hell we’ll even dress period for the locals.

Twice"

:thumbsup:

And everyone stays friends.

Va.Manuf.06 said:
"I plan on hunting Chukar in Oregon come fall. I’ll gladly invite tg to hunt the Chukar hills with me if I thought he’ll show up with his long barreled long Tom and show me how wrong I am . Hell we’ll even dress period for the locals.

Twice"

:thumbsup:

And everyone stays friends.

Absolutely. Life’s to *&% short for BS.

Twice.

roundball said:
northof58 said:

To clarify for those apparently missed the point of this old saying that's been around for decades and used by the majority of people on the planet...in this case it was a spot-on suggestion to the original poster to pay attention to people who have actually done these things with long barrels (ie: Brooks, TG, Homesteader)...should be pretty clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
North, I believe barrel length should be representative of the type of gun you are building. I like between 37-42". Many English birding pieces of the 18th c. were in that range. The guns designed for longer waterfall type shooting were often much longer.
If I am attempting optimal performance I go modern, if I am shooting the old guns I like to consider them the way they were constructed and used. :thumbsup:

Capt. Jas. said:
North, I believe barrel length should be representative of the type of gun you are building. I like between 37-42". Many English birding pieces of the 18th c. were in that range. The guns designed for longer waterfall type shooting were often much longer.
If I am attempting optimal performance I go modern, if I am shooting the old guns I like to consider them the way they were constructed and used. :thumbsup:

Bravo!! My feelings exactly......

Twice.

I'll let you guys know when I get my 46" 10ga. built. I have hunted quail in Texas,AZ,CA Grouse in VA and ND and ducks, geese and dove in all the above and I prefer a longer barrel. For me It helps with the lead but more importantly I began hunting with my grandpa's shotguns who were passed down to him and they were long and heavy (and probably dangerous to shoot).

texcl said:
I'll let you guys know when I get my 46" 10ga. built. I have hunted quail in Texas,AZ,CA Grouse in VA and ND and ducks, geese and dove in all the above and I prefer a longer barrel. For me It helps with the lead but more importantly I began hunting with my grandpa's shotguns who were passed down to him and they were long and heavy (and probably dangerous to shoot).

And just how long is this berrel you prefer..

Let see now. I have hunted Oregon, Wyoming, Nebraska, N.M . Arizona. Iowa WV.Ohio.Indiana .ND. SD. NV.and Montana..

And I can tell you I would not venture across the street with a barreled gun longer than thirty inches let alone to any of those places if my intent was to kill birds.
Now if I were going to a vouz to ply a part or something like that I would leave my 30" barreled guns at home and go do what the Romans do/did. ..

Let us know how well your 46" barrel gun does on birds on the wing..
By the way get your gun ready by Sept. I'll be at Willingston for sharptail God willing .Come join me ..

Twice.

Think what you will 2X boom. I tied the national record at friendship on the Flint Featherduster in '86 with a 42" barreled flint fowler. I have consistantly won most of the local redezvous compettion with shot shooting a 48" barreled 28 bore. I have never hunted Iowa pheasants with anything less than a 38" barreled gun...other than my flint double in 18 bore.
You just need to get past the modern short barreled mind set. I don't even notice how long the barrel is any more.

Twice boom said:
Capt. Jas. said:

Twice.

Judging from your last post I don't think your feelings are as mine. I like to use the barrel lengths that were common in the day of MY interest. That does not mean I cannot clean some clock with a 44" flintlock. I can.
I would not however compete in the NSCA nationals with such a gun.

You seem to be coming from this from the more modern 19th century cap gun perspective, yes? Nothing wrong with that. A large number of us are 18th century flint enthusiasts.

. I too been and will be at friendship. Never tied any national records but I have come close to getting the cup for the year on more than one occasion. That and the fact that I have hunted just about every state that hold birds is why when I speak I tried doing it through experience. Like I said earlier standing at the line calling for the bird with pre mounted gun with a lead established is not same as hunting wild birds .
I know a gal friend of mine that comes down from Boston to compete at skeet at friendship. Fantastic shot and more times than not she puts the guys to shame. She shoots a thirty eight inch barreled gun (I think) When she misses she misses behind the bird, I know because I watched her. If she was to use a gun with shorter barrel by mere 6-8 inches she could win just about every time she walked on the line. I suspect I know why she does not make the change, it’s that thing called Romanticism..

Now the truth is ,just because I am a romantic like the rest of you. If I were to step my persona about 70-80 years I would also own some kind of long barreled English Fowler.. One other thing Mike. The English did not come up with the modern Gun dimensions by accident as far back as the Late 18 Century, they did it by trial an error and good common sense”¦
Hell Man you might have won it had you not been shooting a long barreled Tom. :wink:
See you at Friendship?
Twice.

Capt. Jas. said:
Twice boom said:
Capt. Jas. said:

Twice.

Judging from your last post I don't think your feelings are as mine. I like to use the barrel lengths that were common in the day of MY interest. That does not mean I cannot clean some clock with a 44" flintlock. I can.
I would not however compete in the NSCA nationals with such a gun.

You seem to be coming from this from the more modern 19th century cap gun perspective, yes? Nothing wrong with that. A large number of us are 18th century flint enthusiasts.

Yes I am more so than you think. The fact that you said you can not compete at a NSCA tells me you know what I know and probable you would not be in running in a local state qualifying shoot with the long barrel gun.

I respect the fact you guys are a 18 Century enthusiasts otherwise I would not be here .But that will not stop me from dissecting the truth from the make belief when someone asks what barrel length to afford him best shooting.

Nor will you ever read from me recommending someone to get a thirty inch gun when looking to Buy a mid 18 Century fowler...

I hope that helps you understand better where I'm coming from...
Twice.

This post is not in any particular order, "A REAL Grouse hunt?" that is what I have been talking about says the man to the wall, I do not think it a good idea for Boom and I to hunt together an incident with a former VP and a shotgun come to mind,Laws of Physics, intergrity, ignore all the history books over ones own opinions, there is a pattern here and it has nothing to do with the number of pellets in a 30 inch circle, but could be related to the persenatge of loose screws, some of this stuff does not even warrent a response my youngest grandaugther can see thru the smoke, let's at least try to stay a bit within the world of reality. somepeople may not be able to use a 40"+ gun for birds it is quite obvious that many others do so quite well,yet someone says absolutely no to anything over 30", it cannot be done due to the laws of physics, a jury would come back pretty quick with a verdict on this one by reason of insanity,plain stubborness,or supercharged ego, I often wonder if one really knows just how ridiculis this sounds from the outside looking in.I am done with this exchange Boooom there is no point for either of us.You have as much as called me a liar with the keyboard comment and the REAL Grouse hunt remark, I do not think you are a liar just vey missdirected and clueless about using guns from the past, I would just hope you refrain somewhat frompassing along so much inaccurate information,which from the other testimony onlong guns is quite obviously the case, and the clay bird reference was just one example and as usual you took it and most everything else out of context in an attempt to shore up the rotted timbers of a sinking ship. Not much of anything busts out of heavy cover more unerving than a dozen Mt Quail 5-10 yds out and they fall to thelong guns now as they did in the past, oh what's the use? goodbye wall. PS to Claude and the moderators...I AM being nice, you should hear what I'm thinking :grin:

That's sic, bringging up the VP if your intent was not to shoot me... :rotf:
Good'n tg.
Twice. ..

Back