• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trot

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have decided to get around to finishing a partial build I bought a few years ago, sort of a fullstock percussion hawken. I was wondering if there is any way I can identify the barrel. It is 15/16 diameter, 34 inches long, seems to be about 1 in 66" twist. It has 7 lands and grooves with the grooves considerably wider than the lands. The only markings on the barrel is the number 3098. Not much to go on but I was wondering if I had anything of quality or not. Oh, it is not off another rifle, it is unfinished without sight dovetails cut. Thanks.

There really isn't any way to identify your barrel from the information given. If it is old, new stock, use it in good health.

God bless

It's easier to say what it is not.

It is not a Green Mountain or a Rice barrel.

As I recall, Colerain and Getz also mark their barrels with something besides a serial number.

Is the breech plug installed? A couple of makers stamped the breech end of the barrel.

Yes, the breechplug is installed, but I am going to pull it to make sure it is done right. It may remain a mystery, the only thing out of the ordinary is the rifling, don't remember seeing rifling with the grooves so much wider than the lands. Thanks everybody.

There was a company that advertised the wider groves as holding a patch better. The wider groves account for seven lands rather than the usual eight. Now if I could just remember the name of the company that made those thing a ma jigs we were talking about ! :surrender: :surrender:

Back