• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel channel scraper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamechaser

40 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone ever make a scraper out of a section of barrel,and if so, how to do it

I've seen one picture on another site, but not sure how to keep channel strait

That's what I was thinking, it would be nice to see a picture of how it was configured

This is the current one I am working on. Stock is a pre-carved with a 5/8" barrel channel. Channel is now 1" octagon to round. NOTE: scrapper in the picture. It has interchangeable blades. Picked it up at the Kalamazoo Living History Show several years ago from Dennis Priddy.

Attachments

• 20230220_102536.jpg
    20230220_102536.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230223_073408.jpg
    20230223_073408.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I used the back of a breech plug after it was draw filed and sanded to 220 to match the barrel perfectly it ended up almost scary sharp, can't send pics because it's in a rifle now. My barrel was a very tight slip fit with chisels before scraping, I don't know that you could get it down and straight from the beginning with just scrapers, they tend to want to follow the grain and the more figure in the stock the worse it gets. Maybe you could, I want a little tighter fit than I was going to get scraper only. It was a big time saver for sure.

Back