• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJR

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a problem browning a barrel and hope you all can help. My GM barrel has a spot on it that will not take a good browning. It will lightly color but not go dark like the rest of the barrel. I have cleaned, sanded and browned this barrel three times with the same results. Twice I have tried browning with Valley Forge and this last time with Dangler's, this last time I even bead blasted the barrel before sanding and cleaning. It always blotches in the same spot, about an inch back from the muzzle on the left side flat. The rest of the barrel comes out a nice dark rich brown, this spot is a medium brown. Any thoughts and ideas? I really want to get out and shoot this flint barrel to see how it does, but this browning is really starting to agrivate me. Thanks, Rick.

Deaddawg, there's a good chance you may have to live with it. It is very possible that what you see is a lead deposit in the steel. Most barrels are made from leaded steel and sometimes this happens. You may try Casey's lead black solution and if it helps you can pretty well bet that is the problem

You might try dabbing a bit of mustard on the area with a q-tip and keep it dampend for a day with re-applications then wipe off and see if it "took"

quote:Originally posted by tg:
You might try dabbing a bit of mustard on the area with a q-tip and keep it dampend for a day with re-applications then wipe off and see if it "took" Could it be because of the turmeric?

Turmeric
(Curcuma domestica; Curcuma longa)

A long and storied history for this ginger-looking, brown-on-the-outside, bright-orange-on-the-inside rhizome.

It was listed as a coloring agent in an Assyrian herbal dating back to 600 BCE.

In 1280, Marco Polo mentioned in his journals that he saw turmeric growing in the Fukien region of China, "...a vegetable that has all the properties of true saffron, as well the smell as the color, and yet it is not really saffron."
Throughout medieval times, it was known in Europe as "Indian saffron" because of its coloring power, which, incidentally, is terrific.

It's the yellow that puts the yellow in ballpark mustard--not to mention in curry.

Coule be... I just know some folks use it to finish their barrels and get a brown end result.

I appreciate the replies and information. I got a little carried away today and bead blasted the finish off again. I then called one of thegun builders in our club. He told me that there were Impurities in the steel (like Wick said), but that if it would brown some, it would brown dark like the rest of the barrel, I just needed to find what would make it set and what solution would work with it. Strange as this sounds, he had me clean the barrel with fresh tomato juice straight out of the blender, paying particular attention to the area that wouldn't brown right. He had me clean the barrel with a dry lint free cloth to get the excess juice off. After that I applied the Valley Forge browning. Just checked the barrel about 5 mins ago and the barrel is browning evenly, also applied a second coat to darken it up. Weirdest danged thing I ever heard of but it seems to have done the trick, just don't know why. Thanks again for the info and replies and as always, Take care, Rick.

Up date on my browning problem. The bad area did take browning better, but it is still lighter than the rest of the barrel. tg can you tell me more about browning with mustard? I sure would like to have a nice even dark brown on this barrel, I'm not satisfied with the way it is. Do you use regular mustard, like Frenches? Or do you use ground up mustard seed? Is there any special prep for it? Thanks, Rick.

Deaddawg: Don't know how many times you've rusted and carded your barrel but this is one case where sometimes "more is better".
Did you try tomato juice/regent/carding several times?

I have only use it to touch up areas though I have heard several peole say it works well for browning, it is the regular Frenches kind and is applied and kept moist for a couple of days then wiped of and more applied if needed as I recall. Sometimes you will find a spot on a barrel that will not "Take".....you might try continueing your present method on the suspect area only it may "catch up' with the rest of the barrel.

Update again on the browning job. Decided to give it one more coat as 'zonie suggested, with one little twist. I warmed the barrel with my heat gun to about 200 deg.(lazer thermometer). The lighter spot is a whole lot closer to the rest of the barrel, but the rest of the barrel is so dark now it's almost black. I'm hoping that I can steelwool some of the darkness off, or maybe when I wax it - it will lighten some. Well at least I now know how to get a real dark barrel using Valley Forge browning. Take care, Rick.

DEADDAWG, Get some engraving tools. Now you have a place and reason to practice. Turn a flaw into a decoration.........Use some metal stamps and make a paw print or.................Hope this gives you an idea!

quote:Originally posted by BS:
DEADDAWG, Get some engraving tools. Now you have a place and reason to practice. Turn a flaw into a decoration.........Use some metal stamps and make a paw print or.................Hope this gives you an idea! Cool Idea, I started looking for flaws on my muskets now...
cool.gif

Rats, no flaws...
frown.gif

Wait a second, I could make a flaw...

Now where did I put that hammer?

Back